• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

andre1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was just curious if any of you know who makes the largest glass tank and the dimensions.
i was looking for larger than a 200 hopefully without going custom, i heard to many bad things lately. it must be reef ready
thanks for any info

percula

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I believe that the largest tank made noncustom is the 200G Oceanic and All Glass... other than that you need custom. If I made add... I would go acrylic if anything bigger. I have an oceanic now, high quality, beautiful, lil (58), but for large tank, I would go acrylic.

WWiley

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kristen Oceanic makes a 200,240 and 300. The 240 and 300 aren't stock but they're not custom either. I just got a 240 and I like it.
icon_smile.gif
WW

Ritteri&Bubbles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kristen: Acrylic is definetly king in my book. I own an oceanic,all-glass, and a few acrylics. True Acrylic does scratch easier, but at least if its scratched you can buff it out and repair it. Glass on the other hand if scratched, stays scratched and you cant get it out. And believe me you will scratch your glass tank on many occasions! All my glass tanks have em, no matter how careful I have been. Plus acrylic is much clearer too, its a big difference when put side by side. Most people who go acrylic dont go back to glass. Other factors are safety(wont shatter)too which for me plays a big concern.

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: Ritteri&Bubbles ]

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the LFSs in D/FW has a brand new custom 550 gallon Oceanic DUAL bowfront with a custom stand and canopy for sale. It's VERY impressive. It's aout 8 feet long and 3 or 4 feet tall, on a dual-bowed stand. The cross-section of the tank and stand is shaped like a canoe--it's bowed on both sides and comes to a point at both ends. This tank would really kick *ss in the middle of a room as a room divider. I've never seen anything like it. I understand the tank itself weighs well over 1000 pounds.

Besides the fact I don't have room in the house, the price tag of $11,000 for tank, custom stand and canopy kinda turned me away... It would make a very fun project, however!
icon_biggrin.gif

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get custom glass tanks pretty much as large as you need. I was at Penn State visiting Sanjay Joshi who has a 550g Starphire Glass tank, with no center braces.

Dscn1260.jpg

andre1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who sells quality acrylic tanks
i will price them out
what am looking for is 96x30x30 or 84x30x30
i have know idea what glass or acrylic would cost if i was going to go with glass it would be starfire glass. it doesn`t have to be the exact size listed above i just want it to be in that area anyone have any idea`s and ballpark prices on the 2 tanks
thank you for all your posts

schubert

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kristen

You may want to check out www.go.to/interamerican they build custom tanks out of starphire glass. Apparently they are resonably price (Atleast so I've read). I personelly have had no experience with them but their is alot of good comment about them on various BB.

Daniel

Nanook01

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I priced a 96x30x30 from Tenecor, with shipping it cost about $2500-2800, depending on options.

dave

EmilyB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefland, I had the opportunity to visit a local tank maker once, and saw a starphire glass tank under construction. I slipped in my own pool of saliva....
icon_wink.gif

AlexS!

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well... the largest glass tank i know of is the tennessee aquarium, which is 70,000, and the largest freshwater aquarium in the world (i think it's glass, it might me acrylic, but i'm pretty sure). However, an aquarium company in canada makes aquariums up to 800 gallons, glass, for very cheap! look for their ad in fama!
-alex

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: