• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Gem City Reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year or two ago, we had a 20 gallon tank set up outside with just f/w. All it grew was algae and mosquito larvae, and one day my younger brother took ammonia, bleach, detergent, and other chemicals and dumped them in the tank. It stayed that way for aut a weekuntil we dumped it out. i would like to use a 20 gallon for an upgrade from my 10g nano reef, can i use this tank? Its been washed out and sitting in the garage for about a year and a half, ad has no chemical smell or anything. What do you think? BTW, there was nothing in the tank except water and mosquitos.

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with wasabi. Why take the risk? You will be better off starting fresh.

Besides, having the tank sit in a garage isn't the best. The winter's cold and summer's heat could possibly dry out the silicone seals.

HTH

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my 100 gal long with everything for $150. The guy's ex wife bleached the tank "accidentally" so he took it down. I have been running fresh water init with a couple of feeder fish for 3 months without any problem. Glass usually will not 'soak' up chemicals like plastics will.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
took ammonia, bleach, detergent, and other chemicals and dumped them in the tank.
Didn't anyone ever tell you not to mix bleach adn ammonia? I never believed them either, untill I tried to clean a bathroom with both. nearly burned my eyes out.
icon_eek.gif

B

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: Bingo ]

afss

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as long as the tank is glass, and you rinse it out well and the seals are atill good then imo it should be ok

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: