• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am in the process of hooking another tank to my system. i have installed a drilled overflow, and bulkhead, in my new tank, and im plumbing it into the sump.its a thirty gallon long im connecting a 250 watt mh from aquatic lighting systems. i picked up a flotec sump pump discharge hose from home depot, im wondering if this will be a decent hose to use for my overflow, or if i need something more heavy duty.

Cali_reef1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up some blue 1 1/4 inch spa hose for about $1.79 a feet at home depot. They look like the ones I got with my seaclear sump. A lot more thicker then the black sump hoses.

Quiverfull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished plumbing my new tank. I did alot of research and decided on flexible PVC pipe. The advantages are flexibility and will interface with any pvc fitting of the same diameter. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowes.

TazzBear

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump pump hose will work, but man, it will eventually leak. Those hoses are so thin that they will SPRING leaks along the seam that runs along it. Or any stress along it will cause it to fail. They also sell a white hose that is much more substantial, or better yet, shell out the cash for the spa hose mentioned earlier. It is nearly indestructible but there is a coiled seam that runs along the inner side of the hose and you will need to seal the hose carefully. PVC cement works well for this or have a local pool store put ends on it for you. If you get the ends put on it, you can slide if over rigid pvc and not even need clamps, but use them anyway. I put PVC cement on mine and slide a 1" rigid PVC on the inside and it works wonderfully. Dry fit it first because you may need to sand the pvc down a bit to get it to fit into the hose. By the way, the spa hose is OD 1 1/4" (Outer Dimension) with an ID of 1" (Inner Dimension). One question, is water going to be backing up in the hose and putting pressure on it? If so, forget the black sump hose altogether but the white will still suffice. Test it first to see if it has any holes though. Always test your plumbing. A vacuum connected so the air blowing out connects to your plumbing, plug the end of your plumb job, take liquid soap mixed with a small amount of water and dab it all over your joints and if it bubbles, water will leak out of it. I use a compressor but "Necessity is the mother of invention". Or if using flexible hose, put it in the tub full of water and plug one end and blow in the other. "An ounce of caution is worth a pound of cure", or water all over the floor!

Roach

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about pool hosing? Is this stuff strong? They sell it in small connectable pieces by my house and I was wondering if it would work. My drain hose now is a thick piece of rubber tubing from HD. I works fine but it is kinda loud.

newreefman1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my 60 set up with sump, I went for the flex pvc and when it gets setup again at my new house, ill use flex pvc again. its awesome.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: