andrejka

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read Dr. Ron Shimek's(?) article in TFH about "good and bad" snails for algae control. He considers Conchs as one of the best (the only issue is their big size). Even Fighting Conch is too big to be able to claim up rocks. It was said that there is an appropriate Conch out there, which grows to only about 1 inch. Pacific Spotted Conch (Strombus maculatus). Can't find it anywhere! Any ideas as to where to get it?

beerbaron

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anybody have a pic of these guys? i think i might have just gotten some from broker, but im not sure. if it is what i got, as soon as they start multiplying they will be available.

andrejka

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the link, Minderazer!
Looked at IPSF's web site (it IS funny in some parts, but I wish they were more flexible on package options). Being reading old threads on IPSF's stuff too. Flatworms, Aiptasia... Have to think about ordering from them. Will try to find Conch of interest from local reefers first (if they reproduce so readily, Conchs that is :), the thing is to get just a handful to an area, then we can share...).

beerbaron

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the link, but its a little tough to id from just the shell. anyone have a pic of one thats alive in their tank? like one on the glass?
thanks again
BB

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an idea. . . If you keep your location posted in your profile, sometimes when you ask a question like this someone from your area may see it and be able to help you out.

I have oodles and oodles of Strombus maculatus to trade locally, or to anyone passing through eastern Iowa.

andrejka

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Laura.

Just updated my profile.
May be it's time for me to see how things going in Iowa? :)
I'm trying to find someone locally to trade/buy.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read your message in time :( I've sold all I can spare to the LFS. I should have more by spring, but I don't expect you to need them then. Sorry.

Here's a pic of what mine look like:

strombus_maculatus.jpg

Guy

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guy, how much do you get for them?

I sell mine sometimes to a dude locally who re sells them online with coral frags and such. I HATE dealing with shipping and such, so dealing with a middle man is fine with me. I had no idea how much to charge, so I ask for 25 cents a piece. They are so small yet so prolific. I usually sell them in lots of 50 to 100.

andrejka

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The article "Terrific Algae Grazers" by Dr. R.L. Shimek was published in January 2002 issue of TFH (Tropical Fish Hobbyist) magazine, p. 72-80.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: