mountainbiker619

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aquarium make over 101 is in session. My current 100 glass aquarium has been up and running for about 4 months now, but I am not happy with its appearance. After seeing many beautifull aquariums posted here, I have decided I also want a beautifull aquarium that one can be proud of.
I have to much equipment cluttering the inside of the aquarium. So I am going to have two bulkhead holes drilled for drainage into a 40 gal aquarium to be used as my sump, which will be located inside the stand.
Ofcourse to do this, means I am going to completely tear down the aquarium. Already have a place to house the few fish that I have in it. Basically what I am asking is for any hints and "if I could do it all over, I would do this" type of ideas.

David

madrefkepr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I coud do it all over, I would start with an acrylic tank! :lol:
That aside, I wouldn't know where to start!

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Dave

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mountain, have you considered locating the sump in an adjacent room or closet?
Steve

ReefLion

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider a basement sump if you have the space. It will keep the water cool, give you room to work, and allow for a large sump system.

Tim

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reeflion has a great point. If I could do my system over I would do a basement system and have some bit**'n algae scrubbers. I would put all of my light ballasts and such down there too.

this will make the tank really quiet. maybe a gurgle from the overflow. but that is it..

drill the the tank with an 1.25 or 1.5 " drain. that way you can increase the flow over time if needed.

while you are at it . you might want to put the tank on its own breaker. you can then buy a small electriticy meter out of graingers and keep track of costs......

later

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: