A

Anonymous

Well, with considerable help and advice from others, I now have a new tank, lights and stand, as pictured below. It is still somewhat dehydrated:

Attachments

• CIMG2227.jpg
    CIMG2227.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,419
A

Anonymous

So I have a couple of questions.

This tank is replacing a 55 gallon that will hopefully become the sump. (Everything worth keeping is in other tanks at the moment).

Should I put a thin layer of styrofoam between the tank and the stand? This is recommended in Delbeek and Sprung vol 3, but I never did it before. The tanks is acrylic, 100 gallon long.

Second question:

I was originally going to buy a 75 gallon replacement for the 55 gallon, so I bought an aquaC remora skimmer to replace the CPR Backpack I had on the 55. The AquaC is rated for 75. The CPR handled the 55. I have both of these skimmers, and if I can get away with using both of these, rather than get yet another skimmer, I would like to.

Is this doable, or am I smoking crack?

A

Anonymous

Use the foam if you have it. I have and haven't. No noticable differance.

I have a rem skimmer and have been very happy with it. What is going to live in the tank? I think the skimmer should be fine for a light to moderate fish load.

A

Anonymous

I never understood the concept of putting foam under a tank, MAYBE a glass tank, but on an acrylic tank where the entire bottom lies flush on the stand? Seems like it'd be downright stupid to put foam down.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andy_":1t5sk6tg said:
Use the foam if you have it. I have and haven't. No noticable differance.

I have a rem skimmer and have been very happy with it. What is going to live in the tank? I think the skimmer should be fine for a light to moderate fish load.

Currently I have 2 maroons and two tangs (blue and purple) slated to go in. I might add a couple of heniochous, if I can find the reef-safe ones.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trido88":1uzxb3e6 said:
I have never used styrofoam under any glass tank ranging from 20 to 120 in size. Over 18 years without a problem. I would think that you could get away with the two skimmers, you will just empty collection cups more often.
Take a look at this

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem. ... uct=CR1115

:D

Well I will have the equivalent of the left half and then one that is twice as good as what goes on the right.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics":4as1ug1a said:
I never understood the concept of putting foam under a tank, MAYBE a glass tank, but on an acrylic tank where the entire bottom lies flush on the stand? Seems like it'd be downright stupid to put foam down.

The idea is that if the table top surface has bumps in it, this takes the pressure off of that spot.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention. Your tank needs at least a small drink of water right away to keep it healthy. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Andy, should the stand stay black? This is my last realistic chance to change its appearance.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes, leave it or repaint it black. It matches the light and is a clean look. Other colors seem to look odd, at least to me. Also if left black you will not need to caulk and putty the cracks, joints, and nail holes.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: