• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOT TIPS Column: October 2006 Issue of Advanced Aquarist

October's theme is "Mantis Shrimp Removal Tips." Please submit your tips and tricks for catching that pesky shrimp that's clicking away in your tank. Your tips and tricks will help new and existing reefkeepers and also helps to bring the hobby to the next level (plus it's just cool to get published in a magazine like Advanced Aquarist). :P

When published, your hot tip will have your username published (along with your real name if you so desire). Every month we will be running a new HOT TIP thread so stay tuned and help out when you can. :)

The staff at both Reefs.org and Advanced Aquarist would like to thank you for your continued interest and support of our online community, magazine, and services.

Let the submissions begin! :D

Best regards,

Reefs.org and Advanced Aquarist staff

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way I could get the one out of my tank was soda water.

I pulled the rock out the mantis was in and dumped a 2 liter of soda water over the rock.

The mantis came shooting out. I dipped the rock in old water change water and back into the tank it went.

The mantis went into his own tank.

B

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the soda water and it was a failure. I tried the hot bath tub method to no avail. Finally, in desperation, I boiled the rock he was in and ruined a really good pot. I still here about that pot. Nothing about a three week war against the mantis. He nearly won. He took many with him before his reign ended. :evil:

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo":3quyhc8g said:
The only way I could get the one out of my tank was soda water.

I pulled the rock out the mantis was in and dumped a 2 liter of soda water over the rock.

The mantis came shooting out. I dipped the rock in old water change water and back into the tank it went.

The mantis went into his own tank.

B

I have also used this method. I had an idea of which rock the mantis was in and removed it from the tank and put it in an empty bucket. I used a turkey baster to shoot club soda into the holes in the rock. On the second hole the mantis shot right out. I put the rock back into the tank, and the mantis into a 5 gallon tank. Very simple and humane.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet another vote for the club soda method of eviction, except that I found that using a turkey baster to really flood the holes in the rock is the fastest way to get them to leave.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took the whole rock he was in and put it in a 5 gallon bowfront nano. Of course the rock was located on the bottom of all my rock in the 155 gallon reef.

Picked up the 5 gal from the fish store, it came with a hood and a hang on filter. Tossed in a heater, some old tank water, and a compact flourescent, a couple of mushrooms, and viola! Instant end table conversation piece.

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh yes. The turkey blaster is one of my most treasured tools. My mantis was in my first tank at start-up. If I had blasted that sucker with soda life wouldn't been so trying.

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 sealed m-80 and 3 feet of water tight det cord, 1 waterproof blast cap. :twisted:

no more mantis!!!

turkey baster with soda or freshwater has always worked for me. :D

stinger

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any tips on the most likely rock the mantis will be in? maybe the bottom one or any one that's the hardest to get? :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: