Mike612

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed that my Pyramid Butterfly has cloudy eye. I've only had him for about 3 weeks now and he's been quarantined for 2 weeks. The cloudiness is just around the iris. Am I going to have to fish him out and use antibiotics? Will it go away on its own?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will likely go away on its own.

IMO you should just pay close attention to it. If it gets worse or the fish shows other signs of disease (rapid breathing, discoloration, strange swimming, not eating) then consider medication.

Of course, before you medicate, you'll need a better idea of what exactly this is. Sorry, can't help you there.

Good Luck!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That happended with one of my tangs and it did go away. Sometimes they bump into the rock and scratch their eye. STILL, keep an eye on it in case it's disease related.

Mike612

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. He's still swimming well and is the biggest eater in the tank. My next question to you now is how long should I wait to say that the fish has to be medicated?

Mike612

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudy eye's back. I noticed it this afternoon so I added marine buffer thinking it would help and but it just got worse. I did a water change and I'll see how he is in the morning. It seems though that he's getting the cloudy eye when chemicals like the marine buffer or reef plus, reef strontium, etc... are added to the tank. I'm almost 100% sure that's why it comes back. If that's the case, I'll stop using them. I'll keep you posted.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted. You might want to discontinue one at a time to find out which is the culprit.

Mike612

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the eye's looking better already. It's definately a chemical causing it. Maybe his eye is just sensitive.

Mike612

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright it's back again. I didn't add anything to the tank though. I just went down and it was there. I watched him for about 20 minutes and what I noticed was that my Yellowtail Damsel kept on chasing him away from the nori on a clip he was eating. This means that it's the damsel that I think is causing him this stress and giving him the cloudy eye. I'll see how the butterfly progresses without a water change and I will most likely get rid of the damsel (I never liked him in the first place).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: