• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I am still setting up my upgrade tank and so I am starting to research what will probably be the last fish to enter my tank.

Here are the tank specs.

it will be a 90 G reef. (upgrade from my current 46).
it will have a large sump with LR cheato and mangrove
skimmer
Mh 2 x 250w DE
DSB Lots of LR
and mostly SPS dominated.

Current occupants
pair of ocellaris with host RBTA
flame angel
candy hog fish
cleaner shrimp
asst conchs, hermits, snails.

leaning toward

Small Powder blue tang since we will be moving in 2 years and will have to sell it then anyway.

looking for a large swimming show piece type fish. Any other suggestions?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away from the Powder Blue...

One of the Zebrasoma species will add a splash of color, and do much better.
I think Chromis damsels are under rated, and a nice group of 4 or so would look nice too.

I had a group of 7 in my last reef, and they were just about my favorite inhabitants.

3459_1079380532.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the blue jaws reef safe? I thought triggers ate corals and such.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranger":1cztf46n said:
Are the blue jaws reef safe?

I've read before that they can be, with some exceptions. Meaning some are and some aren't RS.

You're right that triggers in general aren't reef safe.

Maybe Louey, Steve or Matt can convince us they are?

I've wanted one for a while.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the PBT, they are BEAU-TI-FUL!!

But they have a splotchy record for captivity, one of the less hardy tangs. I've heard that tanks over 2 years old and with varied algae improves their chances.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bluejaws are 100% reef safe. They don't mess with anything.

They swim around high in the water colum all fo the time and are very cool looking.

There should be one in every reef.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey":sn2ktnyg said:
Bluejaws are 100% reef safe. They don't mess with anything.

They swim around high in the water colum all fo the time and are very cool looking.

There should be one in every reef.

Louey

Excellent! :D

But how about with shrimp?
I have a pair of CBS that I wouldn't trade for anything.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From TMC:

This is one of the less aggressive members of the family. It feeds on zooplankton. It can be kept with moderately-aggressive tankmates and can even be kept in groups (one male and one or more females) in extra large aquariums. This trigger rarely bothers its tankmates. Like many triggers, it is often shy when first added to the aquarium, but becomes bolder as it learns to associate its caretaker with food. Males sport a blue patch on the throat and yellow fin margins (these characteristics are lacking in females). Being a planktivore, it will not harm corals in the reef aquarium. Hawaiian Specimens are superior in quality to the industry standard Philippine specimens.

They won't mess with shrimp.

Randy

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any shrimp that are in the tank should be safe. I had 3 cleaners in the tank with mine and he never bothered them. He actually came to be cleaned when he was 4-5" still. I would avoid adding shrimp after the trigger, though. They get to be 8-10" and are active swimmers. I wouldn't keep one long term in less thana 6' tank. That is why I don't have mine anymore. I gave it to the LFS because at 6-7 " I felt I was cramping him. He was in a 90. If I had my 125 then, I would have kept him.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coolest fish I have seen in Alabama was a gar and they aren't that cool. I think they are a product of the in breeding that goes on here in the state lol :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

I may have to look into the blue jaw. They are a nice looking fish. I am looking for something that stays up in the water column as my clowns stay in the host, the candy hog swims in front of and in the lower rock and the flame angel stays in the rockwork unless feeding.

Thanks all for the tips.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cvp7900":18a2mduf said:
What size aquarium do you need to keep one?

110 will do?

I would go much bigger than that. 200-300 gallons minimum.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you being sarcastic or are you serious? 200g-300g for a blue jaw?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: