Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it didn't take long to find a baby Regal Angel. I began searching for one online a few weeks ago, and I saw this little guy at a LFS a day after it arrived. Poor thing was getting chased around a 55 by some pygmy angels and tangs. It already had a nipped fin and a wound on the side.

It was labeled as a Red Sea Regal, but I won't know for sure that it's not an Indo specimen until it gets older. Even then, I wouldn't be able to tell if it's a Red Sea or Maldives specimen.

The Purple Tang immediately attacked him after introduction. So, I left the tank completely dark and covered with blankets for a day. I've had him for almost a week and half now, and has completely healed over. He's still not brave enough to come out and feed with the other fish, but is getting bolder everyday. Occasionally, it even tries to bully the Orchid Dottybacks.

Typically, he only grazes on the live rock, which I'm hoping will sustain him for now since he's so small (2"). He appears to be keeping on the weight, and has pooped several times. I expect this to go on for a few more weeks, before it musters up enough courage to stay out during feeding.

I'll give updates as the weeks go by.

babyregal.jpg

Maximus1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Karl,
I would go to the store and buy some clams. I've heard a nice, open clam may entice the regal to feed. Good luck with the fish.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat fish, I so would love a nice large angel but I'm too scared of them, that and my clams most likely wouldn't like them, even if I was brave enough I would definatley wait until my SPS were MAJORLY grown in so if they do nip here and there they wouldn't do much damage.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the vote of confidence and great tips, everyone.

Right now, I couldn't say it's because he's a finnicky eater. The second I get close to the canopy to feed the fish, he darts deep into his hiding spot and won't come out for several minutes. By then, all the food is gone.

A lot of it probably has to do with the tangs. It took the dottybacks over a week before they could feed out in the open. It'll probably take at least 3 times as long for a lone baby angel to do it :(

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice fish!

I have had luck getting new fishies to eat in an established tank by putting a mirror at one side of the tank to distract the meanie longtime residents.

YMMV.

:D

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking fish, Unarce! I just pulled my centropyge argi out of my tank for the excessive LPS picking he was doing and keeping my LPS from opening up. Your angel reminds me of my pigmy in the face! Good luck with it! :D

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I need to find this guy a new home.

I got the little guy to eat Red Seaweed Selects, but he also found my Bali Tricolor to be rather tasty, too :(

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unarce":2oveh28m said:
Looks like I need to find this guy a new home.

I got the little guy to eat Red Seaweed Selects, but he also found my Bali Tricolor to be rather tasty, too :(

Did you try Arcti-Pods :D Sorry, couldn't resist :D delete at will :lol:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: