SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew the title would get your attention!
Seriously, I'd love to see how you have lights mounted inside your hood.

I want to upgrade lighting, as in upgrade I mean add VHOs to my MH setup.

Id especially like to see if you have VHO or PC AND MH.

Help a brotha out, lets see some pictures !!!

Oh, and if i put my lights in the top of my hood, do I have to use a glass canopy over the water? or is it really nessissary?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my canopy. The 6 in clip on fan is the key. The 2 3inch Icecap fans dont do much.

Attachments

• canopy.jpg
    canopy.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 625

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you just have a pendant hanging from the inside top and the VHOs are mounted to the base of the canopy? Do youhave a glass top?

B

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my problems is that my pendant is pretty big in comparision with the 24X24 top of the aquarium. Im almost afraid the bulbs would end up having to be too close to the pendant.

B

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea... i guess it can be done, ive just never really thought about it. I definitly DONT want to cut down on my 400w of DH MH either by putting some bulbs in the way.

To further the issue my tank is EUROBRACED, so the VHOs have to go even farther into the center of the tank to be effective.

ALSO I have a built in overflow on the back, and it really wouldnt do a lot of good to have a bulb over THAT and just shine into the tank on the 2 sides opposite the box on the back.

b

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run the bulbs parallel to the sides as to not run over the overflow box, if that's a concern to you. If the VHO bulbs are not much lower than the MH pendant then it shouldn't block the light. And I wouldn't worry too much about the eurobracing if the bulbs are high enough in the canopy. (not too high, just high enough. :wink: )

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my 60. The VHO tubes were just laid over the two pipes you see.

light_626.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hood isn't quite done yet. Still needs some paint. Here's a cad drawing though.

2 Lumenar mini 150's
2 T5 24"

B

Attachments

• canopy 58 t5.JPG
    canopy 58 t5.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 578

das75

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-250w PFO pendants with 2-40W NO fluorescents, mounted to hood with phenolic strips to allow air space and heat insulation. Only glass is on the pendant themselves.
lgt2.jpg

lgt1.jpg

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SnowManSnow":33u4v4qf said:
one of my problems is that my pendant is pretty big in comparision with the 24X24 top of the aquarium. Im almost afraid the bulbs would end up having to be too close to the pendant.

B

What is to close? I dont even have a canopy and my VHOs rest against my pendants. Just be careful not to bang them around carelessly.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: