dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green hariy mushroom, and I placed some rocks around it so it would attach.

Step 1 complete

Now to cut this bugger since he is attached to multiple rocks.

Do I take a razor blade and have fun?

Will it bleed(dumb I know had to ask)

Will it grow on both sides after being cut?

Thanks

fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya, a razor blade will do the trick, make a clean cut and dont saw at it. the mushroom will not bleed. it might get upset and spit out some digestive strings but it will heal. it should heal and grow into two whole mushrooms.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a minute you can do this? What about the mouths on them? How exactly DO you cut them? like, laterally? Or will any "piece" of it grow into a full one.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrooms, in my experience, tend to grow into full colonies even without splitting it evenly down the mouth (this is true of some anemones too .... Coral Magazine has a feature about this in their latest issue). They'll simply grow new mouths. The main problem is that cut pieces have a terrible time adhering to substrates, so they almost always float away before having the opportunity to develop into its own anchored polyp. Doni's situation doesn't encounter this problem.

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the info, tomorrow I will cut, not saw those buggers into pieces.

If anyone happens to be local, and would like a piece you can have it. Let me know.

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided to frag it tonight since it was in its nightly closed position. It made it easier to see the best place to cut. It went well, they are in the recovery room now. lol.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: