tripleup05

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mixed up 50 gallons of saltwater, and when I looked in the trash can, I saw brown film junk floating on the water. When i stirred it up, it would seperate and then kinda form back together on the top. The salt I used was somewhat moist even though it is kept sealed, but it looked very clean. The trash can had uncirculated saltwater sitting in it for about 3 months, but i rinsed it out what i thought to be pretty good. It was dark and i didnt look inside of it though. Maybe it is junk that collected on the inside of the can and didn't wash off...? Anyways, I netted most of it out because I don't want to waste 50gallons worth of salt and 50gallons worth of distilled water. Believe me...pushin that much water through wally world is no fun. any ideas?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bucket of salt, Crystal Sea, that every time it was mixed up it did that.

The salt didn't look very different when dry, but it just looked "dirty" when mixed up. Brownish scum floated on top of the water.

A couple of batches were used for water changes with no obvious adverse effects, but I ended up using the rest of the bucket to salt the sidewalk during the winter because I just couldn't stand to use it in my tank.

I don't know if what you saw was from the salt or the can residue, but scooping out the scum seems to be a good idea either way.

tripleup05

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i got most of it scooped out, i think i will just use it. what you desribed sounded pretty close to what i saw.

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to steal a thread, but thought I would borrow for a day or so.

I mixed up close to 30 gallons of water 2 nights ago. Starting first with just air for 24 hours, today I mixed in the IO. When I went out later to check SG, I saw this thin yellow sludge. I did forgot to mention my 2 yr old snuck an empty bottle in the new water. I also should point out this is a new garbage can I just got. I did clean it really good.

I checked ammonia, trite and trate, and it was all zero. I have scooped it everytime I go out there. I have found a few little hairs, and some other minor debris.

Should I start over again, or check for something else. Just add it to the tank as planned? Need some guidance here. Perhaps I am just trying to be cheap, or lazy..

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you all are seeing are diatom blooms. As long as you have light and moisture you'll have diatoms. Though unsightly they are harmless and it is actually consider phytoplankton.

Regards,
David Mohr

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
davidmohr":2mzpeyw6 said:
What you all are seeing are diatom blooms. As long as you have light and moisture you'll have diatoms. Though unsightly they are harmless and it is actually consider phytoplankton.

Regards,
David Mohr

For my case, I have no exposure to light. Mine is in my cooled garage with a lid on. If the above is the case, then I am okay with that. Sounds harmless.

Thanks david

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: