Galvan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in getting into salt water system for the first time I purchased the 75Gal reef ready oceanic tank which just came with a normal light. I got rid of that very quick and purchased the coralife with 2-65 watt Actinic and 2-65 watt 10,000, is this enough to keep corals going, brain, mushrooms, carptet, leathers. I'm just getting more into the corals.
I do have a problem keeping mushroom corals to their fullest, they will shrink with time. about where in my tank should I keep them up high, middle or low.

EVO

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the 4x65W compacts on my 72gal. Had hard time with anemones and corals. About 6 months into it I got a 2x150W MH + 4x18w system. The anemones and corals are much fuller when the Metal Hailides are on. I think it's largely due to the shimmering effect from the bulbs being a point light source. Maybe it stimulates photosynthesis, not sure. Overall it's more pleasing to look at also. The draw back is the lights generate more heat and you will definitely need a water chiller, especially in summer. Other than that another issue is fitting a MH pendent or retrofit into a hood. I have a bow front tank and it took me awhile to find a nice hood on top of which I placed the pendent light fixture. If you have a standard rectangular tank it may be easier to buy or make a tall hood into which you can retrofit lights and a fan.

fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think your lighting is okay for soft corals and lps but not most anemones unless you feed them a lot. mushrooms should be okay with the lighting even at the bottom of the tank but you can try to move them up to see if it is a problem with the amount of light. make sure your water condition is good. maybe do a big water change.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: