trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how other reefers out there get water from the tank, down the drain and then from the make up water bin back into the tank

I have friend who was talking about hating the chore as he was using five gallon buckets and walking them to the tiolet. I quickly gave him my old 50 foot siphon hose and explained how I have a maxijet 1200 plumbed to 1/2" hose and a U hook to fill my tank from the make up bin. There really is no easier way that I can think of.

On my built in tank, I have it literally plumbed into my house. For a basic water change I simply turn a valve and water is draining. For a more thorough gravel cleaning, I use the old fashioned siphon tube that I piped into the same tank drain.

If you dont want to spend the $75.00 on a 50" siphon hose.........Years ago, I used a siphon tube crammed into a garden hose. It leaked a little air, but worked well. I wish I had pattened the idea. :x

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two "buckets". One is empty the other will have new salt water. I syphon or pump depending on if I am taking water out of the tank or sump. Them I pump the NSW from the "bucket" back into the sump generally. I have a MJ that I use to move water aroud. I fit it with a peace of tubing on the nozzel.

On my 60 the "buckets" were 5 gal bucketts for weekly water changes. I think on the 150 the "busketts" will be 32 gal trash cans. I want to do larger water chages less often.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a syphon tube that hooks up to my faucet. It drains down my sink. Then the make up water I use a pump to put the water back into tank.

The sucky part is not having a RO/DI unit. I go down the road and get my water. That part takes the longest.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to siphon detritus and mulm out of the tank when I remove old water, so I just use the old fashioned siphon hose and 5 gallon bucket, sticking the hose behind the rocks and in nooks and crannies. No matter how crystal clear my tank looks, the water in the bucket is FILTHY! So I always feel better geeting out crud with the water change rather than just water.

My tank happens to be right next to the bathroom door, it is at most 15 feet to the toilet, so I just dump the 5 gallon bucket there.

As for make up water, I have an even easier method than you! I ask my husband to make up some for me the day before, and after I take the old water out I have him pour it in my tank because I will spill it. :mrgreen:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that I use to just dump the used salt water in the street. I'm planning on doing the same with the new tank since in it not far from the front door. I'll see after the first water change.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wazzel":30mllec1 said:
I should add that I use to just dump the used salt water in the street. I'm planning on doing the same with the new tank since in it not far from the front door. I'll see after the first water change.

Would'nt it be easier to siphon it to the street? I only ask because MY lower back complaines when I haul more than a couple buckets and I found that they were a sloppy method of getting water from point A to point B.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i normaly use a maxjet and a tube connected to the outlet end. I put the jet in the sump and pump out the desired amount of water.. then.. I just put the jet in the bucket with the clean water and pump it back in. No mess... doesn't disturb the display tank.

For larger changes I can drain the sump and the overflow. The overflow alone holds almost 5g. The sump is 15g. Thats 20g I can change without touching the actual display 65g.

b

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for the last number of days weren't able to post any responses. It was funny, for I was able to sign in and whenever I clicked to reply to any topic I was in where I make my post and after I click on to post it I find myself back to the sign in screen.

So if this works, great and if not, I just cannot post until someone fix this problem.

Anyway, I for one thing could never carry five gal buckets back and forth due too me disability. I do a water change on a two tank system of 30-32 gals a week and I carry nothing. I use a Rubbermaid that is on wheels and I due with this a strong pump and hose to transfer the water from the tank into the Rubbermaid and then into the sink.

Then I go to the closet where I another two Rubbermaid where I make my RO/DI water and in the second one in this closet I make the water with the tanks salinity. I pump the water from the closet Rubbermaid into the one I have on wheels and then roll over to the tanks and pump it into the tanks. No Mess, No Fuss about it.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using the bucket method Waz mention since you pull out the exact amount you're putting back in.

And I siphon things out like Laura and try to get as much gunk out as possible! :D

It's easy!

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought, you can do the same with a 32 gal rubbermaid, you make yourself a water line if you not use the rubbermaids full capacity or you can make yourself a water line to what you do in your own tanks. So still it is, no mess, no fuss :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trido":1yf20o8s said:
Wazzel":1yf20o8s said:

Would'nt it be easier to siphon it to the street? I only ask because MY lower back complaines when I haul more than a couple buckets and I found that they were a sloppy method of getting water from point A to point B.

With the 5 gal buckets it was not bad I think the 32 gal bucket will be a bit of a problem so I will get a long hose to send it to the street.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old Man Of The Sea":d8msfyto said:
bleedingthought, you can do the same with a 32 gal rubbermaid, you make yourself a water line if you not use the rubbermaids full capacity or you can make yourself a water line to what you do in your own tanks. So still it is, no mess, no fuss :wink:

I call them buckets, but it can be any proper container that holds water.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000 liter (250Ga) plastic 'cube' on the back of my pickup, drive to beach, pump with Yamaha 2 stroke pump, drive home. 1" hosepipe down drain and syphon what I can out with the old water. Climb on apartment roof where I keep a 50m (150ft)1" hosepipe. Throw down to the pickup and on to my balcony, fire up the pump and pump the water 3 floors up. 10 minutes, no mess, no fuss. I do about 150Ga every 6-8 weeks dependant on ocean water quality. (and how enthusiastic I feel at that moment)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump holds 120 gallons. I have drain lines that come out of the bottom of the sump. I connect a pump to the drain lines and empty the sump through a pipe that goes out to the swamp behind my house. Once the sump is empty, I close the vavles and reconnect my pump (a mag 9.5) to another pipe that is connected to my 120G water storage vessel that is located in my laundry room. 15 minutes later my WC is done.

I do some siphoning of the bottom of my tank on occasion to clean out detritus. Lugging 5G buckets around does suck.

Louuey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon tank above my sump in the basement that is normally full of makeup water.

I make sure its completely full, turn off the supply, turn off the float valve to the sump and add salt.

I turn on the 2 powerheads and heater in that tank and wait for it to mix.

The next day I turn on the valve that lets it drain to the sump and go upstairs and siphon it out of the main into a 5 gallon bucket.

Once I have siphoned as much as I need to out of the top tank I go back to the basement and see how much more I need to take out to empty that 20 gallon tank.

I have a pump and a drain hooked up for that, it goes out on my lawn on the side of my house that will not grow grass.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make 10-15G and mix it for 2 days.

Blast the LR with a powerhead, turn off the pumps and do a water change siphoning all the detritus I could.

Start filling the sump with new mixed SW and turn the pumps on.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: