iseeweed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all thanks everyone for all of the great advise. I started my first reef this May and wanted to share some before/after pics. My question is I am growing a lot of seaweed. The stuff grows everywhere, and I cut it back about once a month. My local LFS told me it will help absorb Nitrates? I have never had any Nitrate probs, so I am afraid to cut it all down. Kinda looks ugly, but I can deal with that if it is beneficial.

Attachments

• oct206.JPG
    oct206.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,232
  • oct06.JPG
    oct06.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,234
  • may206.JPG
    may206.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,233
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like Sargasum to me. It, like any plant, will consume nutrients, which is a good thing. Some fish may even like to eat it, like tangs. I had this is my first tank, a 75G. I didn't like it and removed it. Later, I wished I had kept it around a bit longer to help the tank get past the alae outbreaks that are common for new tanks.

Nice looking tank, BTW.

Louey

iseeweed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed my bristleworms and emerald crabs eating the stuff all the time. When will the bristleworms become a problem?? I got some fat ones right now!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most bristleworms are harmless detritivores. I'd keep them.

Louey

iseeweed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a closer pic. of the seaweed. My anemone climbed in it about a week ago and just stayed there! Is that normal? I have been keeping the anemone for about 2 months and can't seem to figure it out. The only reason I bought it was to keep my clown out of my little torch coral(I thought the clown was going to whip it to death)

Attachments

• seaweedclown.JPG
    seaweedclown.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,212

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworms usually become a "problem" when a inexperienced aquarist finds one eating a dead or dying animal and thinks that the worm killed it. Then they nuke their tank trying to kill all the bristle worms.

As for the anemone, I think it might be trying to get more light since the algae is really high up.

And for the ugliness of the seaweed: Usually people keep this sort of thing in the sump where they do not have to see it. However, you could create a interesting 'biotope' tank and try to make the seaweed an important part of the artistic concept.

iseeweed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what kind of algae is it looking for?? Any care suggestions for the anemone would be appreciated. Last month I used DT's live phytoplankton until I ran out. I bought some stuff by cora-life called invert smorgasboard. I tried to keep an anemone a few months back but it died(it may have been sick for the start). This one seems to be doing well but I have only had it about 6 weeks.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like brine shrimp and mysis shrimp. I've purchased shrimp pellets for mine and he loves them. JMO.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iseeweed":12hbcbtt said:
Any care suggestions for the anemone would be appreciated. Last month I used DT's live phytoplankton until I ran out.

The anemone wants to eat meaty food, it doesn't care one bit for the DTs or liquid coral food. It is up on the algae to get the best lighting (and maybe flow too) but being on the sargassum algae is a coincidence I think, it would probably have still chosen that spot if it was bare rock.

Try mysis shrimp, or buy some raw table shrimp and chop into small pieces, be sure it is the same temp as your tank water when you feed it. I put the frozen food in a little cup of tank water, let it sit until nice and thawed, and then either suck the food up in a turkey baster and very gently blow it into the tentacles, or use a long pair of hemostats (or your fave aquarium "grabby tool") and pick up the food to deposit it in the tentacles.

FWIW, I have occasionally had that sargassum algae show up when i get new rock, it gorws real nice and then disappears in six months. So enjoy it while you have it, or maybe it will last for you. But I like it.

iseeweed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laura D":1bw8m9p4 said:
iseeweed":1bw8m9p4 said:
Any care suggestions for the anemone would be appreciated. Last month I used DT's live phytoplankton until I ran out.

The anemone wants to eat meaty food, it doesn't care one bit for the DTs or liquid coral food. It is up on the algae to get the best lighting (and maybe flow too) but being on the sargassum algae is a coincidence I think, it would probably have still chosen that spot if it was bare rock.

Try mysis shrimp, or buy some raw table shrimp and chop into small pieces, be sure it is the same temp as your tank water when you feed it. I put the frozen food in a little cup of tank water, let it sit until nice and thawed, and then either suck the food up in a turkey baster and very gently blow it into the tentacles, or use a long pair of hemostats (or your fave aquarium "grabby tool") and pick up the food to deposit it in the tentacles.

FWIW, I have occasionally had that sargassum algae show up when i get new rock, it gorws real nice and then disappears in six months. So enjoy it while you have it, or maybe it will last for you. But I like it.
I was feeding my fish yesterday and noticed the anemone grabbed a couple of pieces of pellet food and I think it ate them. Is this ok? if it eats the pellets can I continue to feed it pellets.

BTW-I am starting to like the sargasum, I guess you could say the sargasum is growing on me? :?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: