• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

iyugen

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green brittle star (also commonly called a serpent star) and within 2-3 days a large hole opened up in the central disc roughly the size of a dime. This happened once before about 5 months ago when I first placed him in the tank. The affected flesh first tutned white then began to flake off exposing a brown underlayer. Shortly thereafter the brown layer disappeared to leave one large hole. This all happened within 2-3 days. The brittle star still eats but the food just floats out the hole in his body. Last time this happened it recovered and was fully healed within 2-3 weeks. I tested for nitrates, phosphates and salinity, all within specs. The temp has not fluctuated either. Since he recovered from the first hole it has eaten lots and grown in size.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

ThrillYa

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Iyugen, I had a brittle star for a couple years and he never exibited anything close to that. Maybe you shouldn't stick him with that hot poker. LOL

Any chance he's gotten stuck on a powerhead or up against a heater?

Anyone else with any ideas? <bump>

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:welcome:

There may be something predating it, and it could be physical trauma as well, but I've seen this happen with osmotic shock as well. Starfish have amazing regenerative abilities so if the last occurance healed on its own, I'd just give it some time.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, some people say it's also related to pH or to malnutrition. I don't think anyone really knows. It's not uncommon, but sadly, most of the time, this condition results in death :(

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed my brittle star shrimp pellets once a week. He's a healthy big sucker now. He comes out when he smells them and grabs the pellets off the clip. You should try...and whatever Len said.

ThrillYa

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually poking fun at Iyugen since he's a personal friend and the star was mine previously. Thanks for the useful insights, as usual Len.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: