nice1bruva

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys.
im trying desperately to get as much advise as i can for a guy in the UK who is a newbie.
he has bought a feather starfish which as many of us know do NOT fare well in captive systems.

i KNOW he shopuld have left it in the store but hey...we've all made impulse purchases when starting out and the life of the creature(s) in question are my concern at this time.
the storekeeper hasn't exactly helped him either with the old 'yeah...it'll be fine' attitude.

myself....i would steer well clear of feathers due to their feeding requirements but as this guy hasn't then what can he do with regards to care and feeding???
...reallly not my area this...but im not too confident for this little guy tbh.

also an ID on the crab hitchin' a ride would help too...and is it detrimental to the star???

all i have been able to tell him is to cover any inlets for the time being and i'll get back to him with the other issues once i have sought more advise.

The feather is dark green

The crab has black and white strips on its main body with long front claws.
(i have seen the crab type before but damned if i can find a link now)

thanks guys.
:D
here's a couple of pics...

Unidentified_2.jpg

Unidentified_1.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what is available as far as foods in the UK. If available have your friend pick up something like DT's Oyster Eggs, DT's Phytoplankton and Cyclopeeze. Crinoids feed on tiny planktonic matter so the Oyster Eggs and Cyclopeeze may temporarily fill the bill. Dose the tank with the Phytoplankton
to feed the existing planktonic life and help it reproduce therefor producing more zooplankton. He may have to feed his star at least three time a day just to give it a chance as his system probably can't build up enough planktonic matter unless he runs a skimmerless system with fairly turbulent flow. If this tank has fish stirring up the substrate at least once a day may help some too.
As far as the crab I'd need more of a description or a picture.

Regards,
David Mohr

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:? I do wish those had a better record in captivity as I think they are loverly creatures. Hope it works out for your friend.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anubis":2oz631e7 said:
David I think the little crab is in the first pic ...

Sorry my eyes are getting very bad.
The so called crab is I believe an Allogalanthea elegans, the feather star is it's host. It feeds on the same planktonic foods as it's host and will unfortunately also succumb if the feather star dies.

Regards,
David Mohr

nice1bruva

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats some really great advise for me to pass on there david....i kinda knew you would be the guy to answer this.
:D
thanks guys...big help for my friend and new info for me to put away into my the depths of my brain somewhere!
:lol:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: