zaza

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Those are the best pics I was able to take before the unidentified creature disappear in a LR opening. It' very small, 1/4 of an inc., and it moves as a slug

Attachments

• IMG_1921.jpg
    IMG_1921.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1926.jpg
    IMG_1926.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1928.jpg
    IMG_1928.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1929.jpg
    IMG_1929.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_1930.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 197

zaza

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I got 2 more, now I have 5 in a jar waiting for the fwe to arrive to became my live test.

It seems that the spotted mandaring eat flatworms (I found varoius forums). Does anyone who own one ever notice if they do eat the FWs?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Francesca, it's ALWAYS hit or miss with any animal that supposedly eats fw's or algea or bacteria (cyano). If you've taken five fw's out already, I'd be willing to bet the ranch you've got 100's you can't see hiding within the rocks. I'd do the Salifert FWE treatment before it gets to plague or even nuisance proportions.

After you've eradicated them, make sure you treat every single new coral addition with a few drops of FWE in the acclimation bag before introducing it to your tank. Just a precautionary measure. You'll be glad you did.

HTH,
Russ

zaza

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I decided to treat the entire tank this week end, while removing the undergravel filter. I was thinking not to treat the fishes, since I will take them out of the tank, and I am assuming the fw won't be on the fishes (is it right?!?) I would like to spare them the fwe treatment.

Francesca, it's ALWAYS hit or miss with any animal that supposedly eats fw's or algea or bacteria (cyano). If you've taken five fw's out already, I'd be willing to bet the ranch you've got 100's you can't see hiding within the rocks. I'd do the Salifert FWE treatment before it gets to plague or even nuisance proportions.

After you've eradicated them, make sure you treat every single new coral addition with a few drops of FWE in the acclimation bag before introducing it to your tank. Just a precautionary measure. You'll be glad you did.

HTH,
Russ

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Why is everyone bent on destroying the flatworm? Has anyone positively ID'd this one as destructive yet? Why dose your entire tank with FWE if it's not known whether or not it is absolutely necessary? There are so many flatworms many of which do nothing to harm your tank. One of the greatest things about our reef tanks is that there are so many things in there that we may never stop finding new things in them. Being cautious is one thing but just eradicating specimens without knowing for sure is not the best way to go about it. Also, I haven't seen anyone offer up the sixline wrasse as a possible flatworm eater. In my experience they are quite skilled at it. I've also seen a lot of flatworms in my time in the hobby and have yet to find any damage to any of my corals, in store (displays) and out.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
lfs, six lines are once again hit or miss. Besides, Francesca has a 20g tank if I'm not mistaken. Very small tank for a six line. They can also get aggressive towards tankmates.

As far as FW's go, I ONCE had an infestation of them and I see no reason whatsoever to allow them to multiply to epidemic proportions when someone has the ability to wipe them out before they become problematic. They are known (as in my situation) to smother corals and deprive them of the light the zooxanthalae need to photosynthesize and process for nutrition.

swimmer

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
not all FW will reproduce like that and smother corals. There are beneficial types of FWs that help maintain your tank. I would be especially weary of dosing a 20gal with anything unless it was absolutely necessary. I would give them a couple of days and monitor the worms to see if they are obviously reproducing exponentially, otherwise I would leave them alone they are most likely harmless and it's not worth risking any collateral damage to get rid of them. One experience with flatworms does not an expert make. Try and ID them there are plenty of books with detailed information about inverts not to mention websites.

zaza

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
You had me thinking with your post, so I went ahead and did some research.
There are very few information, and there are way too many known flatworms types (few thousands).

From my research, it appear that the type of flatworm I have isn't parasitic, but actually a scavenger, the red one are parassitic. I am not completely convinced yet of the safety of the FW, and I am undecided about what to do, if I should keep an eye on them, or just treat them with FWE.

I am listing some of the pages I found relevant to my specific type of FWs, there are really a lot of documents out there and many are strictly scientific, and are incompressible

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...sion/6960-amphiscolops-sp-harmless-acoel.html
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/flatworms.htm

Why is everyone bent on destroying the flatworm? Has anyone positively ID'd this one as destructive yet? Why dose your entire tank with FWE if it's not known whether or not it is absolutely necessary? There are so many flatworms many of which do nothing to harm your tank. One of the greatest things about our reef tanks is that there are so many things in there that we may never stop finding new things in them. Being cautious is one thing but just eradicating specimens without knowing for sure is not the best way to go about it. Also, I haven't seen anyone offer up the sixline wrasse as a possible flatworm eater. In my experience they are quite skilled at it. I've also seen a lot of flatworms in my time in the hobby and have yet to find any damage to any of my corals, in store (displays) and out.

DonCisco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Francesca, great job at looking for information. I guess my rule of thumb is, if anything is affecting my corals or other desirable critters they have to go. Yes there are tons of critters that we don't know anything about, but bottom line is that you are the keeper of your reef. The use of chemicals, or other means of erradication is completely up to your discretion, as long as it is not capricious, or foolhardy. Best of luck

simike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
great pics by the way,, sometimes flatworms come and go.. just siphon them out when you see them and if they start to appear more then treaat with fwe. just have ready enough water and carbon which should be cake with a 20 gal.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: