• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
I have something growing and I dont know what it is. Does anyone know What it is? Its right in the center of the rock like a light green color.

Attachments

• STP80101.JPG
    STP80101.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 210

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
The sponge will grow. You should try to get an id on it. Maybe you can actually get a Nudibranch that eats that type of sponge.

Before you do anything though, I would do something about what Deanos is talking about

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
The sponge will grow. You should try to get an id on it. Maybe you can actually get a Nudibranch that eats that type of sponge.

Before you do anything though, I would do something about what Deanos is talking about

Just curious, but why would he go through the trouble of getting a nudibranch to eat something thats perfectly reef safe?:confused:
-Kris

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
Should i get a copperband to eat it? I currently have a Maroon Clownfish, Dominal Damsel, yellow tang and a blue Velvet Damsel, would the copperband go fine with these fish?

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Just curious, but why would he go through the trouble of getting a nudibranch to eat something thats perfectly reef safe?:confused:
-Kris

I was thinking it would be cool to be able to keep a Nudibranch and actually have it thrive. I have two different sponges and thet grow fast, I am surprised that yours grow slow. Is it bad for them to grow fast? Mine spread onto the neighboring live rocks and actually took over a full piece for themselves.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
I was thinking it would be cool to be able to keep a Nudibranch and actually have it thrive. I have two different sponges and thet grow fast, I am surprised that yours grow slow. Is it bad for them to grow fast? Mine spread onto the neighboring live rocks and actually took over a full piece for themselves.

I guess it comes down to preference, that looks just like one of the types I had. Never really did much of anything. On the other hand I had this yellow sponge that grew like there was no tmrw. I like the yellow contrasting with purple coralline, it actually looked cool.

I guess I'm still against the nudibranch, because what happens when the sponges are gone, how does the nudibranch thrive or even survive then?

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
You're right. It depends on the Nudibranch and sponge. Some sponges grow much faster than the nudibranch could eat. I used to have two purple Nudi's for a long time until a sponge fell off one of my pumps and ocourse both got sucked in.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I have sponges all over my tank and they grow like crazy - I lost all but one polyp of some pretty pink zoos to one sponge. I had to pick a different one out of my pipe organ coral because it was starting to grow up into the pipes. I also have another one growing on another big zoo rock. They're pretty - just wish they would stop growing on my corals!

You could try getting some peppermint shrimp to eat the aiptasia. I have two, and they ate the one aiptasia bloom I had. Now they're just sort of cool to watch under the moonlights. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: