Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What is this thing? inside is some black thing that spreads out a mucus web that catches floating particles that it eats. it never comes out and recently it built a little more tube. Is this thing dangerous, or is it just gonna keep spreading the web and making a mess in my tank when it doesnt eat it all or it gets carried away in the current?

Attachments

• DSCN2361.jpg
    DSCN2361.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 168

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
No need for a new pic - your description nailed it :)

It is a Vermetid snail.
Yes, a snail.
You can break the tube but he will either withdraw quickly into the rock & build another one or turn back up elsewhere. I've even tried gluing them in..doesn't work :(

No harm to the tank, actually eats particles in the water column, but the web they use to feed can be annoying to look at when it is out.

Here's a bunch more info:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.php

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
wow a snail! thats pretty awesome, i love watching it eat cause it looks so weird, i just hate that when i look around the back of the tank theres missed web with stuff stuck to it all over. its weird too cause i was in its tube for close to a month before i ever saw it, i thought the tube was from a tube worm that died or something. thanks for the info, ill be sure to read that link later.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
wow a snail! thats pretty awesome, i love watching it eat cause it looks so weird, i just hate that when i look around the back of the tank theres missed web with stuff stuck to it all over. its weird too cause i was in its tube for close to a month before i ever saw it, i thought the tube was from a tube worm that died or something. thanks for the info, ill be sure to read that link later.

How did you both fit in there?? lol

Thanks Frosty...much appreciated ;)

I have a few in my big tank and what creeps me out is I always feel like they are watching me- they look like an 'eye' in the tube..yuck. Definitely a cool critter whith an interesting way of eating though!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
lol, have you tried flashing them with light, like from a camera flash? they retract a little but then come out a little further. and yeah mine has white spot on top of its "mouth) that makes it seem like its watching me while it eats lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: