• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

monkeyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have NEVER seen anacropora on any availability list, why isn't this so minimally collected? It just struck me tonight when i saw a picture of some anacropora growing in someones tank, never seen any captive pieces before. Why?

farmertodd

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MB,

As a fairly sound assumption... I would gather that it's mundane brownish appearance has most to do with what keeps it off lists. It's also pretty brittle and having 50 little frags of a brown coral is waaaaay worse than "getting stuck" with just one brown head. May be a result of complaints. Could be rare too, but I doubt it...

There's a place nearby that farms it and it does *extremely* well... Even to the point where they were trying to give it away with orders, and either the coral kept up with their generous offer, or people turned the offer down. They have it growing in northern US sunlight without any halide supplimentation and in a tub completely dominated by soft coral.

Once I get a reactor online on my latest manifestation of "soft coral tank", I've pretty much decided I'm going to give it a whirl. I think I saw the saw the same pic you did... It's pretty darn attractive all grown up, isn't it?
icon_smile.gif

Todd

JeremyR

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No chucker, but the rest of us are lazy.. easier to wait for you to post the link than to search for it.. the same reason all those newbie "how do I" posts are the same every day
icon_razz.gif

JeremyR

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<<I have NEVER seen anacropora on any availability list, why isn't this so minimally collected? >>

You've never seen an acropora? And you work in an LFS? Heh.

Tehehe.

Blowfishaq

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats OK. I was just trying to keep the flames burning. We all have our days. Heh

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: Blowfishaq ]</p>

Blowfishaq

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jeremy Russell:
<strong><<I have NEVER seen anacropora on any availability list, why isn't this so minimally collected? >>

You've never seen an acropora? And you work in an LFS? Heh.

Tehehe.</strong><hr></blockquote>

He said anacropora not acropora. And you own a fish store? Heh. Tehehe.

monkeyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa, didn't think anyone would respond so i never checked back, thanks for the replies!

Jeremy, whats an acropora? Isn't that being afraid of spiders or something? Hmmm...

I'm not sure of its appearance keeping it off the lists, i've seen many a drab brown button polyp rock pass through the store, not to mention some of the other stuff that makes you think "now if i was out collecting and i saw this, would i even bother picking it up?". I for one would really like to get some anacropora going regardless of its color, because you're right, it does look very nice all grown up! Maybe we can trade anacropora frags some day!

Jeremy, have you ever seen it pop up on any of your lists?

monkeyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh, thanks for the link. They say it's rare but from what i've read it's common as hell. Hmmm... Mary, have you ever imported it?

hreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a colony of Anacropora. Very brittle. I have a thicker branch species that is not brittle at all. It's not so colorful. Mine tends to be on the light tan/yellowish side. But, is very hardy. It reminds me of a thorny plant. Very small polyp extension. At night, with the Actinics on, it has a floresant green tinge to it. Very nice addition to anyone's Reef. But,if you ever obtain a frag or colony. Place it so it will not get bumped, this coral is very brittle. I placed mine in the upper right corner of my Reef.
Holly

M.E.Milz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of colonies of this in my reef tank (cheese sandwich posted some pics of my tank this past summer). It is very, very finely branched, and therefore easy to break. My colonies all came from a 1" frag that I bought from someone on the trading post (it was a 6 pack of sps frags - THillson possibly???). The origianl 1" frag was added to my reef tank about 1 year ago. I now have a 3" colony and a 6" colony.

monkeyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... Thanks for the input, once i'm ready to introduce some new coral to my tank i'll be hunting down some anacropora!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: