kylen

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
naesco":1fvei5xw said:
1. How you interpreted my original posting as my suggestion that Canadians are holier than Americans is beyond me.

That was a comment based on a generalization of your posting history.

The point of the thread was that things are moving positive in Canada and as USA is our largest trading partner, the USA stands to benefit.

How would the US stand to benefit from a Canadian recovery, which IMO is not going to happen the way you see it? Most of our trade is the export of natural resources. If the US economy is still lagging, what we do here is not going to drag the US economy out of recession.

2. Business bankruptcies are down 16.2% over the previous year.

So true, however it's the consumer who purchases fish from retail stores. If consumer bankruptcies are up, rather than business, it would lead me to believe that retail sales would be affected. I have not looked up the retail sales numbers, but I think I remember reading, yes reading, that retail sales were down. Again, couple that with increased defaults on debt payments and the lack of savings, it doesn't bode well for the economy, especially retail, as a whole.

3. The fact that your sales are up 14% proves my point. Congratulations.

Re-read what I posted...I stated my sales are up 143%. Take that for what it's worth...lol.

4. The thread is Recession in the marine industry. Petcetera is not in the marine industry.

Understood. But, you are stating facts such as real estate and car sales to back up your point that the economy is improving. I was just using the demise of a large retail chain in Canada to make my point that the economy, IMO, is not as rosy as you state. At least my example, is much more closely aligned with the topic at hand as the store was at least in the pet industry.

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kylen wrote
"""How would the US stand to benefit from a Canadian recovery, which IMO is not going to happen the way you see it? Most of our trade is the export of natural resources. If the US economy is still lagging, what we do here is not going to drag the US economy out of recession.""""

While it is true that most of Canada's exports to the US are natural resources like oil and gas, lumber and electricity, most of the exports from the USA to its no. 1 trading partner, Canada, are manufactured goods which create jobs for Americans. That is the good news I was attempting to show in my post.

While we disagree on whether things in Canada are going to get worse or are getting better, Kylen, you have to agree the current statistics are positive.
Sales of homes in Vancouver are up 77%. Sales in Calgary and Edmonton are up 25-35%. (I do not have the exact info in hand.

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the Ukraine eh? Must be something in the genes that makes you despise capitalism. FWIW I think most business owners want to be compensated for working harder/longer than the general population. Probably why your logic doesn't gain much traction around here.

kylen

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
naesco":2fmdr0er said:
What you posted could not be further from the truth.

Right back at ya. Your post is the exact reason why I stated, and will maintain, that you convey this idea of Canadian moral superiority.

2. Gated community????live in a rented 900 sq ft apartment until I can find a home. Ours sold in 3 weeks above the original listed price. I have never lived in a gated community and they do not exist in Canada.

Yes there are gated communities in Canada.

3. White Guilt???? Canadians are colour-blind. The colour of one's skin is not an issue and is irrelevant.

Maybe to you. Racism and ethnic hatred is alive and well in this country, probably no more than the US. Obviously you don't read the newspaper. I'll even link it for you to have a look. Wayne, take off your blinders and see Canada for what it truly is.

http://www.canada.com/news/Community+or ... story.html

It is apparent to all that your dated right wing thinking is not relevant in America today. American have overwhelmingly elected a black President. He has pledged to bring in long overdue programmes to benefit all not only the rich like Universal Medicare (all Canadians, rich or poor view universal medicare as a fundamental human right). He has pledged to normalize relations with America's neighbour, Cuba.

This coming from a member of the Conservative Party of Canada and presumably Stephen Harper. Give me a break. By the way, all Canadians do not view universal medicare the way you seem to. It's not so universal here either. Don't you and I still have to pay a monthly premium so we can wait months or years to even get an MRI. Right, our system is the best in the world :roll: . For people coming to BC, if they don't pay their medical premiums, guess what, they have to pay for their medical service. It's not automatic.

JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
::::Grabs a bowl of popcorn and a beverage::::

(And no it's not an adult beverage... I'm on the clock)

(Oh and it's not Kool-Aid either...)

My sales are up over 200% (yeah, that's the ticket...)

:D

Jenn

kylen

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JennM":39x33w2s said:
::::Grabs a bowl of popcorn and a beverage::::

(And no it's not an adult beverage... I'm on the clock)

(Oh and it's not Kool-Aid either...)

My sales are up over 200% (yeah, that's the ticket...)

:D

Jenn

Glad I can offer some form of entertainment. I'll have an adult bevvy for you.

naesco":39x33w2s said:
While we disagree on whether things in Canada are going to get worse or are getting better, Kylen, you have to agree the current statistics are positive.
Sales of homes in Vancouver are up 77%. Sales in Calgary and Edmonton are up 25-35%. (I do not have the exact info in hand.

What I have been saying is that yes there are some positive signs, but there are many others which should raise some red flags. You tend to just sit and pick and choose the ones that fit to support your opinion but ignore the others. Look at the big picture.

Home sales are way up, true, but is that good? The major reason why home sales are up is due to ultra low interest rates. Even with so, price/rent ratios along with incomes still do not fundamentally support the current high prices.

As with many markets in the US, there were spring rallies for sales and prices during their long ride downward. I'm fearful of all the new homeowners jumping into the market because they can "afford" to buy based on these low mortgage rates. Just wait when their mortgages are up for renewal and interest rates are much higher than they are now. Not a pretty situation.

Enough of my rant...

JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Psst, Kyle - I'm seated in your cheering section. The bench is pretty crowded too - I should have made more popcorn.

Wayne provides enough "entertainment" for all of us.

I'm reading what you're posting with interest because I do think... no, I know it's a more accurate interpretation of goings-on on the Canadian side of the border.

Jenn

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JennM":1f0dgouh said:
Psst, Kyle - I'm seated in your cheering section. The bench is pretty crowded too - I should have made more popcorn.

Wayne provides enough "entertainment" for all of us.

I'm reading what you're posting with interest because I do think... no, I know it's a more accurate interpretation of goings-on on the Canadian side of the border.

Jenn

Pssst....pass some popcorn over here :)

Kyle, the award is in the mail but until then here's the online version....

6a00d8341c8f3e53ef010536512a08970b-800wi

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dizzy":27zgtecs said:
Quit worrying. Haven't you heard the good news? The Dems stimulus plan/tax cut is going to put $13 a week more in people's hands.
Yeah, I remember when I thought that sounded like a good idea. Every year I was getting a $500 refund.
Now one year after the Dems put more money in my hand by reducing withholding, I have to write them a check
for $150. That's $650. Problem is 26 times 13 is a little under $340. Where did the rest go Barak?

Oh wait...you said 13 bucks a WEEK. That's 26 x 26..My bad.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: