• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Morgman

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LargeAngels":1hgd9pui said:
Now that Copyright warning is gone from that board and when clicking on the link I get a you are not authorized to view this.

Now the Copyright info is at the top in a red box.

On a side note, I really find it annoying that the BOD user accounts names are in red. This is just plain bad design. The red user accounts are the first thing your eye goes to when you enter any of the forums. To me this seems to be an implied ego, such as, hey look at me, all my post are in red. Anyways, I know I'm nitpicking the site, but design is important to the usability of the site.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morgman":1yt67b95 said:
LargeAngels":1yt67b95 said:
Now that Copyright warning is gone from that board and when clicking on the link I get a you are not authorized to view this.

Now the Copyright info is at the top in a red box.

On a side note, I really find it annoying that the BOD user accounts names are in red. This is just plain bad design. The red user accounts are the first thing your eye goes to when you enter any of the forums. To me this seems to be an implied ego, such as, hey look at me, all my post are in red. Anyways, I know I'm nitpicking the site, but design is important to the usability of the site.

I think thats just a feature of the new BB. The Admins on this board have the same thing.

Veng68

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's just me but with the change of the website format......... it makes me not want to go there.

The look gives me a headache and (to me at least) there seems to be less postings.

I hope the site figures out all the politico stuff and get back to the original purpose of the site.

Cheers,
Vic (veng68]

mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm simply posting this as a matter of public record, and to let the folks know that I haven't forgotten about MOFIB, just that I'm still powerless to change things.

As of April 20th, 2009 the MarineBreeder.org domain is still showing as the legally registered private property of Dr. John Lauth - http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-s ... reeder.org

Domain ID:D140614505-LROR
Domain Name:MARINEBREEDER.ORG
Created On:28-Feb-2007 08:18:23 UTC
Last Updated On:14-Mar-2009 00:36:41 UTC
Expiration Date:28-Feb-2011 08:18:23 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com, Inc. (R91-LROR)
Registrant ID:GODA-054396150
Registrant Name:Dr John R. Lauth
Registrant Street1:PO BOX 83
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:High Shoals
Registrant State/Province:Georgia
Registrant Postal Code:30645
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.7063101355
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:[email protected]
Admin ID:GODA-254396150
Admin Name:Dr John R. Lauth
Admin Street1:PO BOX 83
Admin Street2:
Admin Street3:
Admin City:High Shoals
Admin State/Province:Georgia
Admin Postal Code:30645
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:+1.7063101355
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:[email protected]
Tech ID:GODA-154396150
Tech Name:Dr John R. Lauth
Tech Street1:PO BOX 83
Tech Street2:
Tech Street3:
Tech City:High Shoals
Tech State/Province:Georgia
Tech Postal Code:30645
Tech Country:US
Tech Phone:+1.7063101355
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:[email protected]
Name Server:NS43.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Name Server:NS44.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

In other words, he has yet to turn it over to the Organization. Let me be crystal clear on this...John Lauth publicly stated (at least to the Moderators) the simply truth that he was withholding this domain from the organization specifically as a personal promise to the donor, Mr. Stephen Kennedy, who publicly told the members he had turned the corporation's domains over to MOFIB (when in fact John Lauth put them directly into a private godaddy account). The "reasoning" behind this promise was specifically to prevent that I personally should have access to the domains, at Stephen Kennedy's request. I suppose there was concern that I would have "too much power" and thus lock everyone out or something? For anyone who doesn't comprehend the situation, let me again make this analogy. Suppose any board member received a donation of $500 cash from a private individual and put it into a private bank account, but the membership was told this donation was made to MOFIB. When "MOFIB" needed the $500, and asked the board member in question for the funds, they were not provided. This situation with MOFIB's domains is no different.

Well, it seems that it has been a few weeks now since I turned over ALL the keys, without any objections, to my replacement, Mr. Mark Vera. It seems that the publicly stated reason for withholding the organization's domains in a private account has LONG since passed, as I am no longer in ANY position of even REMOTE power over the organization. It is very clear to me that if the true nature of this promise was simply to prevent Matt Pedersen (myself) from administrating the domains (which, for the record, the same BOD, minus John Lauth's vote, appointed me to do), then it would seem that Dr. John Lauth would no longer have any reason to continue to withhold MOFIB's domains in private ownership. The moment Mr. Vera had access to the corporate godaddy account, I see no reason that John Lauth wouldn't have been BEYOND forthcoming in returning these assets to the corporation if John Lauth had MOFIB's "best interests" at heart. In truth, this was all about private interests and personal friendships, and nothing to do with the law, ethics, or corporate responsibility. Nevertheless, John should've been happy to return the website, domains, email, database to the corporate account because "they" got what they wanted, they got ME OUT.

Or is that all they really wanted? Is there yet another "power play" in the works here? What's next? Now that the people that wanted me out control MOFIB, why does a single BOD member continue to hold corporate assets in a private account weeks after I was forecfully removed from the organization in an illegal, backhanded manner, solely because I had demanded these assets be returned to the corporation, and had therefore rightfully asked for John's resignation when he failed to provide them?! If I was truly the "dictator" I was accused of being, wouldn't now, in the spirit of democracy and community, John Lauth be inspired to relenquish the stranglehold and illegitimate private claim he has on MOFIB's online presense? What else could possibly be going on here? Was this all just a ploy to sit back and let me do the hard work for 2 years, and then boot me out to reap the rewards? Is MOFIB now a private club for the conspirators of the coup?

It is sad to say that most member's concerns for MOFIB following these events appear to be largely justified. BOD simply continued to squelch dissent until those members who were dissatisfied with the BOD's actions gave up. In totality, user activity has dropped by a true 50%. Were I to post this message at any place on MOFIB, it would be deleted within minutes.

Folks, I have not forgotten about the organization I started, but it is abundantly clear that this BOD has no intents or ability to move the organization forward in a manner consistent with our hobby's needs. I see NO drive to improve MOFIB, no drive to bring MOFIB into a better stance, no drive to engage the membership, nor engage organizations outside of MOFIB.

Back to work for me - but I'll be checking on tbe "marinebreeder" domains to see exactly how long it takes Dr. John Lauth to relinquish private ownership of it to make it organizational property. Once again, now that I am gone, all the reasons given (legitimate in his eyes but illegal in mine) are moot points..he is now holding them simply to hold them, and I surmise that no one else is holding his feet to the fire to make the appropriate changes. Anyone care to make wagers on how long these stay listed as property of John Lauth?

Still disguisted.

Matt

mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone @ Fragfest who expressed their concerns and thoughts and wishes, all I can say is thank you. I honestly was not expecting it.

Just a little side note, I was pulling up some URLS for yet someone else who asked "so what the heck happened?" While digging thins up, I stumbled upon yet another nice little tiny, backhanded jab that someone in the MOFIB leadership perpetuated to my personal account at some point after the BOD gave me the boot. I believe I know who pulled this stunt, but I'm genuinely not sure.

At any rate, it appears that I've been removed from ALL the "breeders challenges" I participated in since our inception of the program in 2007. Basically implying that I never participated in these programs and therefore certainly don't deserve any recognition for that particpation.

Oh, and the corporate assets ( domains ) are still in John Lauth's personal account as of 4-28-09.

That is all...I have to go harvest phytoplankton!

bookfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose this was inevitable but it's still sad to see them delete actual breeding info from the site. On the other hand, they have elevated some of your posts to sticky status where it suits their needs. :roll:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my suggestion that the site has made itself useless has come to fruition?

That really is sad. Very, very sad.

mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there's been some developments. It appears that finally John Lauth relinquished the domains to the corporate account, or at least updated the registration information to make them MOFIB's with the current MOFIB address. So bravo for that. Only 8 months later than it should've been done in the first place....

Unfortunately, there's been a problem in the transition of power...as of today, 5-11-09, I am still the registered agent with the State of IL. You can verify this yourself by searching the IL realtime Corporate Database Online. This was supposed to be rectified back around April 2nd, but apparently the documentation was not filed with the state, only with the Cook County recorder of Deeds (which does nothing to make the change official with the state).

I brought this to Mark Vera's attention a week ago, and have emailed him today to follow up. There are some very real concerns here given that I no longer have ANY control over ANYTHING to do with the corporation, yet I'm still the one the State is gonna come to asking questions. This might cause real problems for the current BOD if they have seized power but not seized responsibility in the State's eyes. I'm hoping this can be resolved quickly before MOFIB's annual reporting deadline with the state (June 1). If this isn't resolved quickly, I may have to get back involved, which is precisely what I DON'T want to do. If I have to bring problems like this to the state, it could cause more problems for MOFIB and the current BOD, and I'm trying to avoid that. Any IL laywers out there willing to give me some free advice on how to proceed, shoot me a PM!

It also appears that for whatever reason, the collective BOD failed to hold their second monthly meeting at the agreed upon date and time. This IS alarming to me. For the record, I'm not trying to rable-rouse - some other MOFIB members brought their own concerns to me recently, and at first even I was saying "hey, I think you're overlooking X,Y and Z, maybe just be patient"...but wow...the current BOD blew off it's second official meeting? Granted, they did reschedule the first one a few times, so maybe that's the case here....? IDK, it's just disappointing to learn, but not terribly surprising. I don't know how this organization is going to continue to survive if this is representative of the current leadership on the whole...what other deadlines are going to be missed?

Again, for the record, this post is not a slam on Mark Vera, I know he came on from the outside and worked hard to try to bring MOFIB to a better place. I'm not privy to the inner workings and internal conversations, but I will say Mark is collectively 1 of 3, so even if Mark's intentions are good, if they are not being met with support from Luis and John, the efforts will be all for naught. Unfortunately, the BOD isn't currently living up to its obligations and promises, and that's a problem for everyone still involved.

FWIW,

Mat

condiman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read this entire thing and you know something I am not surprized that they are pulling that BS. I have seen it many times. Makes me wonder what they are truly hiding.

bookfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say that I have little 'extra' time in my life and when I do contribute to online communities it's only to ones I like and trust. I joined MOFIB shortly before the current mess and was more than happy to publish a MWP/ MOFIB article in my magazine. I truly believe that captive propagation is one of the few, mainly positive, things this hobby has to offer. I was looking forward to participating in a friendly, cooperative, OPEN community. Unfortunately, the current folks in charge at MOFIB have changed the tone of that fine site into something I can not support, recommend or engage in. I just checked the site for what will probably be one of the last times. I will now find someplace else to engage the MO breeding community. And as far as the cries of "be patient" goes... the time has come and gone for the current leadership to show that they're working for the members interests. I've served on NPO BOD's and the current foot dragging at MOFIB is beyond unresponsive, it's deplorable. Goodbye MOFIB.

bookfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at AppStuff Port 80

This is the message I get when trying to go to MOFIB now.

I guess that WAS the last time I'll ever check MOFIB as I've apparently been banned, presumably for the above post. I wasn't notified of course.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bookfish":33kcevj6 said:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at AppStuff Port 80

This is the message I get when trying to go to MOFIB now.

I guess that WAS the last time I'll ever check MOFIB as I've apparently been banned, presumably for the above post. I wasn't notified of course.

Same for me.

mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say give it another chance...a 403 error...hmm. Did you try to LOG IN and have this occur? At this time, I've been able to fully access MOFIB as a general member.

I'm thinking back to my RC banning (the subject of yet another recent personal slam by a former, and now reinstated, MOFIB member who opted to slam me on the site and imply that I had nefarious intentions...for those who don't know, it is my side of the story that I was banned from RC after fighting the accusation that I was a commercial fish breeder...the accusation being made by a moderator who himself ran a commercial business and was a RC sponsor...and me, having hardwood floors in my "hatchery" consisting of 4 nanocubes and 2 ten gallon tanks. For the record, what I did, that got me suspended initially, has now become acceptable practice on RC for a fish breeder. I'm still waiting for the apology).

Back to the finer details of PHPBB banning - PHPBB banning blocks by IP, but also a cookie on your machine after you log in. I.e. I could never access the forums on RC following my banning until I cleared out my cookies...but they didn't implement the IP block as far as I can tell. At any rate, you get a permissions message, yes, but I don't think it's a 403 error. IP banning...that COULD come back to the user as a 403 error...perhaps not a legitimate 403 error, but that could be what the software creates.

If you find you cannot get in, and if you trust me with your credentials, I'd be happy to try them out myself to see if you've really been banned, or if this is just a glitch, mistake, internet error or something else. I genuinely believe that this is probably just a server glitch / misspelling of a URL or something. Again, I will strongly suggest that you retry it....I don't believe you've been banned, and sincerely hope that you haven't. I'll simply say however, that some recent private communications suggest that banning users for statements made off MOFIB could become policy, so your concerns are somewhat alarming. I believe if such a policy were instituted, the people responsible for that policy would lose ever last shred of credibility and reputation in the process.

If you really HAVE been banned, well, what else can I say at this point? It would simply represent yet another new low for the people who seized power. When I authored the update to the MOFIB User Agreement (which was approved by the BOD), one of the specific tennents that the moderators and BOD discussed was whether someone's actions outside of MOFIB could be grounds for reprecussions on MOFIB. The absolutely crystal clear resolution to that question was a resounding NO...everyone's membership and participatory privileges on MOFIB could only be determined by actions that occur within MOFIB. There are individuals who are known copyright infringers who are still members allowed to participate. Members who've been banned from other communities were given the full benefit of the doubt, and the only two members who were "banned" under my tenure were banned due to actions within MOFIB, and even then, they were NOT banned, only placed on "Read only" status which simply revokes the user's ability to post publicly and send private messages. In other words, I believed that these individuals, who had proven themselves unable to play by the community rules, should not be further punished by losing their ablity to access the knowledge contained within the site....that goes against the mission of making information as available as possible.

Bookfish, your commentary above should've been allowed to stand even if you had made it on MOFIB, let alone HERE, on a third party website like RDO. (my opinion...I'm all about freedom of speech, especially if such speech is unpopular, even more so when it comes to critiquing leadership that keeps telling the members it serves that democratic elections are "coming"). You are more than entitled to your opinion, and to voice it when and where you feel inclined. Furthermore, some MOFIB members have recently shared similar sentiments ON MOFIB, so it would seem genuinely suspect unless those people have also found their access revoked. I will say, I am glad to see the folks are RDO letting sensitive conversations like this occur. For the betterment of our hobby and industry, such "dirty laundry" such as this MOFIB fiasco should be aired, hopefully so the leadership, volunteers, and memberships of other organizations might learn from the experience and problems.

I'll leave with this commentary - what MOFIB went through appears to be almost the "norm". It's a sad commentary on my fellow hobbyists that stories such as this one are not unique or atypical. I STILL have not ascertained the true motives for this coup, and suspect that they largely fall to personal reasons for personal gains, whether tangible or otherwise. Afterall, even though John broke his fiduciary responsibilites (And the law), putting his promise to Stephen Kennedy over his responsiblity to MOFIB, it was Luis Magnasco who joined with John to illegaly remove me from MOFIB. The reason - he could not "fire his friend". So MOFIB lies in the shambles it is in because friendship and loyalties were put before legal responsibilities and the organization itself. And those are the people who remain in power at this time. This seems to happen almost routinely...I think every aquarium club I've been a member of has at least one such "power grab" in its history. When's the last time such a power grab actually turned out for the BETTER of the organization and the membership? I genuinely believe such people undertake such actions without considering the long term ramifications and responsibilities they are assuming in the processs.

Someone else, in consoling me over this atrocious act, has suggested that ultimately the cream does rise to the top, and in some respects, that could be true. But it seems that the only way is to be a self-driven individual. But it seems that far too often, partnerships with good intentions turn into one-sided efforts, power grabs, ill feelings, feelings of entitlement where there clearly isn't any, and in the end, actions that no reasonable person should inflict upon people they once considered friends and partners. It always seems to circle back to self interests and/or commercial interests. The one thing that was perfectly clear to me, being a relative outsider, is that if the aquarium hobby and industry continues to operate in this fashion, the cause will be lost. Putting the greater goals first is required, but everyone has to do that.

Regarding the sticky business of MOFIB - it is May 17th, 2009. As of today, I am still on the State's real time online database as the registered agent for MOFIB with the state of Illinois - anyone who wishes to verify that as fact need only search the online database themselves to find the record (and again it is REAL TIME). Mark Vera has told me that the documentation for change of registered agent had an error, and was resubmitted to the state on May 8th. In my experience, the State is reasonably quick with this type of stuff...and knowing that this was the one item I conveyed as extremely important to me and my family in the transition of MOFIB from me to him, I am honestly disappointed that it is the ONLY item that has not been resolved, regardless of the reasons...it's been over 6 weeks now. Mark believes this is a non-issue...for me, I believe that it is.

On MOFIB, it was posted that they did finally have a BOD meeting....and we are now all waiting for the minutes from that meeting. I have been doing my very best to stay uninvolved with MOFIB, but given the current status, I may have to start acting unilaterally, contacting the state to see "WTF" is up with MOFIB, and to find out why I am still the registered agent. I may also have to be verifying other things I've been told, seeing as I have my own fiduciary responsibility to the organization I started and incorporated. It is my responsibility to make sure that the legal transition of power was fully accomplished, and as a former BOD member, to verify that the new BOD is living up to it's obligations with the state. Frankly, I shouldn't have to take these steps myself...the new BOD should be far more proactive. They should be just as concerned with the fact that I'm still the registered agent with the state...unless the plan here is to legally screw MOFIB up with the state, forcing the involuntary dissolution of the corporation. Sure, it's a conspiracy theory that some people would see and use to peg me as "paranoid". I'm just simply saying it is one of a million different possibilities, and given the ongoing "trust us" mantra, without any real "satiation", it makes me wonder just what is really going on. Far more likely, it's just that the people involved don't really have the TIME to deal with running an organization like MOFIB, and that could just as easily result in its ultimate demise.

We can only hope that the "trust us" mantra comes true, and that new, fresh leadership with the dedication and conviction to do things right, is elected by the members when the time comes.

mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE on the MOFIB access issue:

Guys, I think I know what's going on. Let me bluntly say this...the reason I was so ticked off with John withholding the MOFIB domains from my and Will Heaton's access at the time was that it caused problems with the website and our transitioning of the website off an old server to a new server. It actually screwed up my ability to utilize the [email protected] email.

What I SUSPECT is happening is that there is work being done. Not surprisingly, there was no mass notification to the members about the work that could be causing an outage, and no post on MOFIB's site. Hey, I'm an internet professional, I would've made the point to notify members and to make sure to eliminate the possibility of things like this from happening in the first place...which is why John's refusal to let the website guys do their job unfettered was more than simply rude, obnoxious and illegal, but fundamentally harmful to the organization and a direct hindrance to other volunteers (me and Will) to do the jobs that WE had volunteered to do. What can I say? I'm a perfectionist and I do things in a professional manner. I expect other people to do the same. Quality does matter. If someone's doin' a "poor" job, I'd rather do it myself or find someone who can do it better. Nothing personal in that....although I'm sure people view that as a personal attack.

It seems that certain domains are down, and others are up. They could be consolidating the domains into one corporate account (the truth however, is that the domains that were down were IN the corporate account...so...not sure what's going on there). At any rate, www.MarineBreeder.org works for me. www.MOFIB.com works. I only tried a few others, but currently, www.MOFIB.org and www.MOFIB.info are broken, and that is where (and why) you are getting 403 errors.

So snailman, bookfish, try www.marinebreeder.org - I suspect you can get in.

Matt

bookfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, you are absolutely correct. I was trying to access through mofib.org as I had always done and that domain is apparently problematic. I was able to successfully log on under the other domains and I wish to apologize for being so quick to jump to an incorrect assumption.

mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bookfish":37zr01ui said:
Matt, you are absolutely correct. I was trying to access through mofib.org as I had always done and that domain is apparently problematic. I was able to successfully log on under the other domains and I wish to apologize for being so quick to jump to an incorrect assumption.

No need to apologize to me...it's not your fault that MOFIB.org has stopped working and no warnings or explanations were given to the members. I suppose the person(s) who caused this outage either don't know, didn't think anyone would notice, or just figured that the outage wasn't important enough to warrant forewarning.

Ummfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's been other weirdness over there as well. I don't know if you've noticed, but old posts with no new replies have been randomly rising to the top of the lists. I assume that would happen when someone with editing powers alters text inside a thread?

mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or simply being made stickies? Or altering records in the database? Or deleting other more recent threads that used to appear earlier in the list?

I have no clue what Stephen Kennedy, Will Heaton, or John Lauth are doing (I do believe that John had at one point set up his own PHPBB to "try things out"...IDK...yes, it literally could be John Lauth monkeying around with the live website...who knows). SPK and Will are internet professionals. Clients often think they know better than us in real life...which makes me wonder why clients hire us, and then tell us how to do our jobs, rather than rely more than two centuries of collective wisdom and experience.

One thing is clear, someone, for some reason, is monkeying with aspects of the website. To achieve what goal? I for one am already unhappy enough with the rediciously forum reworkings that occured immediately following my ouster...there was a reason things were set up the way they were, and who knows who made the call to change things, but I suspect that the mod committee (who was responsible for forum organization as per their BOD approved charter) was not the ones consulted when the changes were made.

Oh well...I guess folks, we can sit on the outside and critique and complain, but in the end, at the moment there is nothing any of us can really do to affect change. It's ironic I suppose, that I never saw such a collective desire for change while I was the one steering the ship....just a couple disgruntled individuals who didn't like things but never saw fit to even do what they had committed to do (let alone in a professional manner) in the first place.

Sorry for yet another tangential rant, but in the end, that's really what this all comes down to, no? Professionalism? (or more specifically a lack thereof)? That seems to be what brings down these groups...

jgs240

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been meaning to post this for awhile, i just never remembered until i read "ummfish"'s post above stating a fact about the "weirdness" over there.

I have made a 14 gig back up of the entire site, it was made about a month ago. So if someone was so inclined, they could go back and see what is missing by cross referencing the 'cached' site i have vs. the live site.

Either way, if someone knows how to move 14 gig's of data reliably and quickly let me know. I cant think of any standard media that would work.

treeman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A group of us coral growers have a site that is not very active due to the limited number of people on it. I very much hope that it does not come to moving or rebuilding MOFIB at another place but if that is what is needed our group would be willing to open the site up and help promote this cause.

If anybody would like to discuss this please email me at matt @ tindallaquaculture . com

Like I said, I really hope it doesn't come to that but you never know.

Matt

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: