• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January 11, 2010
Freeze Threatens Florida’s Tropical Fish

By DAMIEN CAVE
LAKELAND, Fla. — Frosted oranges, strawberries encased in ice: the images of Florida’s freezes are familiar, sad and earthy. But just past the crop rows here in the state’s agricultural core, there swims another sizable industry that has suffered more than any other because of this year’s unusually long cold snap — tropical fish.

The little guys are dying by the millions.

A severe guppy shortage has already emerged, according to distributors, while fish farmers statewide expect losses of more than 50 percent as African cichlids, marble mollies, danios and other cheerful-looking varieties sink like pebbles to the bottom of freshwater ponds across Florida.

“It could be devastating,” said Ray Quillen, the owner of Urban Tropical, holding a few angelfish he hoped to save by moving them to indoor tanks. “Not just for me, but for everyone.”

The freezing temperatures have come at the worst possible time. Florida provides about half of the tropical fish sold nationwide (Asia provides most of the rest), and like oranges, the colorful pets sell best in winter.

The fish farmers who serve the $45-million-a-year industry here were already suffering because of the recession and a slow shift away from live hobbies and toward electronics. But the freeze has tipped them from glum to depressed.

“It’s bad,” said David Boozer, executive director of the 120-member Florida Tropical Fish Farms Association. “We were hoping for an economic turnaround to pull us up by our bootstraps, and that may happen, but we certainly didn’t need 10 days of subnormal temperatures.”

Florida, of course, thrives on warmth above all else. The Sunshine State has successfully sold a sweaterless life to retirees. For fish farmers, the subtropical temperatures and high water table made this the best place in America for the outdoor cultivation of tropical fish.

The first entrepreneurs got started in the 1930s, mostly around Miami. When land prices there spiked, the farmers moved here to the lake-filled area between Tampa and Orlando.

Their efforts tend to be hidden, down dirt roads on the edge of quiet towns, and largely ignored. As recently as a few years ago, tropical fish were the No. 1 cargo shipment out of Tampa International Airport, but fish farmers complain that not even the hobbyist who pays $100 for an emperor pleco gives much thought to the producer.

“People know there are pet stores, they know there are fish,” said Mr. Quillen, 49, who got into the business eight years ago after working as trucker. “I guess they think they just appear or come from the wild.”

In fact, they come from places like his — a family-owned hatchery on 20 acres marked by 84 man-made, rectangular ponds the size of large swimming pools. There are a few greenhouses, too, steamy fish locker rooms filled with species bred to be red, green, striped, albino or bearded.

It is a world part science fiction — with row after row of concrete water tanks built from the same molds as burial crypts — and part simple farming: most of the workers end up muddy and pungent by the end of the day.

The freeze, however, has transformed the usual routine. Tropical fish begin to have problems when water temperatures dip below 60 degrees. So for most of the past week, as air temperatures collapsed into the 20s, farmers who should have been filling orders scrambled to cover ponds with plastic and to pump in warm water.

Then, as the cold continued, they started to move as many fish indoors as they could.

At Mr. Quillen’s farm, that meant ditching millions of babies to make room for angelfish closer to the size needed for shipping.

At Imperial Tropicals, a few miles away, Mike Drawdy said the water temperatures in some of his ponds had dipped to 48 degrees when he checked them in the morning. That meant catastrophe — and not just from the cold.

Mr. Drawdy pointed to a row of three-pronged prints in a pond’s sandy bank. At dawn, he said, a scrum of wading birds feasted on the fish that were either dead or too cold to move.

Later in the day, workers pulled a net through the ponds to collect what they could. Only a few dozen fish came from waters that should have produced thousands. Yucatan mollies, marble mollies, pineapple swords — every pond showed another population diminished.

Mr. Drawdy, 31, a commanding former Marine who joined his parents’ business a few years ago, said it would take at least three months to bring the numbers back up to what they should be.

He dumped a small net of ink-black Yucatan mollies into a plastic bin on the back of a golf cart. “This is enough to start a new pond if we had to,” he said. “But we were hoping for more.”

Mr. Boozer, at the Tropical Fish Farms Association, said it would take weeks to determine the scope of the damage. In addition to the fish already dead in the ponds, he said, there will also be fish that die later from the temperature swings or from diseases like Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (also known as white spot disease, which makes a sick fish look as if it has been salted).

In the worst cases, federal aid might be available. Farmers with losses of more than 50 percent can file crop insurance claims with the Department of Agriculture to receive assistance. The area’s congressman, Adam H. Putnam, a Republican, is closely monitoring the situation.

But for Mr. Quillen, Mr. Drawdy and many others, the frigid present is their main focus. They are hoping for high temperatures, or at least sunny days without wind. Those conditions help warm the ponds after a cold night. That helps save the fish. And that helps save their businesses.

“There’s nothing more we can do,” Mr. Quillen said, standing in the cold. “We’ve done everything.”

dkarc

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jamesw":139q3ar8 said:
Cemetery vaults as breeding tanks - I have seen them many times but never knew what they were!

Roughly 200 gal in size, under $100 each delivered. Put a layer of epoxy paint over it and they're virtually indestructable. Last forever and they dont get blown away in hurricanes!

-Ryan

JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a tour of some of the fish farms at a PIDA show (now "Global") one year - saw lots of those vaults. I'd seen them elsewhere too but didn't realize what they were til somebody mentioned it!

Sad for the FL fish farmers... and for the fish.

Jenn

bobimport

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reports from the Keys are telling me that all green crabs and condys are dead. the shallow water critters took the brunt of the tenp drop

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bobimport":12xhcguk said:
Reports from the Keys are telling me that all green crabs and condys are dead. the shallow water critters took the brunt of the tenp drop

Green crab = emerald crab (mithrax sp.)?

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.miamiherald.com/573/story/1432724.html

Posted on Mon, Jan. 18, 2010
Cold inflicted major toll on fish in Florida

BY CURTIS MORGAN
[email protected]
Everywhere he steered his skiff last week, Pete Frezza saw dead fish.

From Ponce de Leon Bay on the Southwest Coast down across Florida Bay to Lower Matecumbe in the Florida Keys -- day after day, dead fish. Floating in the marina at Flamingo in Everglades National Park alone he counted more than 400 snook and 400 tarpon.

``I was so shook up, I couldn't sleep,'' said Frezza, an ecologist for Audubon of Florida and an expert flats fisherman. ``Millions and millions of pilchards, threadfin herring, mullet. Ladyfish took it really bad. Whitewater Bay is just a graveyard.''

Fish in every part of the state were hammered by this month's record-setting cold snap. The toll in South Florida, a haven for warm-water species, was particularly extensive, too large to even venture a guess at numbers. And despite the subsequent warm-up, scientists warn that the big bad chill of 2010 will continue to claim victims for weeks.

``Based on what I saw in 1977 and 1989, there is a good chance we'll have a second wave,'' said William Loftus, a longtime aquatic ecologist for Everglades National Park.

During those last two major cold fronts, weakened survivors succumbed to infections from common bacteria, such as aeromonas, that they would normally ward off, he said.

``It's a nasty-looking thing,'' he said. ``It's a tissue eater. It creates open ulcers on the side of the fish.''

In response, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission on Friday ordered an emergency statewide closure of the snook fishery until at least September, and imposed temporary closures for bonefish and tarpon until April. Catch-and-release is still allowed for all three species.

Veteran Everglades fishing guide Benny Blanco believes the die-off was so severe -- particularly for snook, a prized game and eating fish particularly sensitive to cold -- that he would support taking them off the dinner table for years.

``I haven't see a swimming snook in 10 days,'' Blanco said Monday, after returning from a charter trip to the Glades. ``All I have seen is floating snook.''

Judging by the floating carcasses, the most widespread kills were in Florida Bay and Whitewater Bay in the park. Water temperatures in the bay hovered in the low 50s for days and, according to the National Weather Service, dipped to a record 47.8 degrees at their lowest.

DEEPER WATERS

But even denizens of the deeper, warmer waters of Biscayne Bay and the Atlantic Ocean didn't escape the cold, said Jerry Ault, professor of marine biology and fisheries at the University of Miami's Rosenstiel School, who oversees annual counts of bonefish and reef fish.

His research staff collected about 200 bonefish from the Florida Keys, he said. ``It wasn't just bonefish. It was grunt, snapper, pilchards, moray eel. When the water temperature drops below 50 degrees, that's reasonably lethal for most of these species.''

The duration of the cold and high winds worsened things, Ault said, pushing colder, heavier waters off shallow flats into deeper channels where fish typically seek warm refuge. ``Even the channels became a tomb,'' he said.

GAME FISH

While it might take snook and other saltwater game fish years to rebound, the cold snap should at least temporarily help less-popular freshwater natives such as sunfish by knocking off walking catfish, Mayan cichlids and other tropical exotics that have invaded the Everglades and many of South Florida's canals and ponds, said Loftus, who retired from the park last year and now runs a consulting business, Aquatic Research and Communication in Homestead.

It also might help him in his current job of trying to knock back exotic fish populations at Fairchild Tropical Gardens, he said.

``I'm dancing a jig here,'' he said.

DustinDorton

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The canals around us are littered with rotting fish, the smell is pretty bad. Its mostly Tilapia but there are Snook and a few other game fish. The water birds and vultures don't seem to mind.

Last week we helped out with the cold stunned sea turtles. You can read a little bit about it on the reefbuilders post below, I have a bunch more pictures that will get posted somewhere eventually.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/01/14/ora-joins-efforts-rescue-sea-turtles-affected-cold-weather/

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parents have hundreds of dead fish in their lake. I guess that's what happens when it snows in Miami. 8O

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw something about the turtles on the news. I also saw these large green iguanas falling out of the trees. They get cold and sort of go to sleep and their grip comes loose and down they come. It was sort of funny to watch.

PeterIMA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The city of St. Petesburg has been removing dead fish from the small lake in front of my house in St. Petersburg. Some of the fish killed included tilapia, snook, tarpon, bullhead catfish, clarias catfish, plecostomus, largemouth bass, sunfish (brim). The smell is pretty bad.

The FFTFA Newsletter I received estimated that a much as 75% of the freshwater tropical fish being farmed in Florida were killed or eaten by wading birds (some fish not dead but stunned from the cold).

Peter Rubec

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never bought into this story, and maybe I am dead wrong, but I have watched fish freeze for years,
and when the temp warms back up, they start swimming around again. I think alot of people removed
a lot of dormant fish. What got me thinking I was wrong was this story about the SMELL. I guess I can't
say it didn't happen cause I wasn't there, but I know everytime we caught bass and threw them in the ice chest
we would get them home and toss em in a sink with room temp water in it and in a few minutes they would
be swimming along fine. Same with the goldfish in my pond outside. We had two weeks of sub freezing temps
and my goldfish and Gambusia laid on the bottom the whole time under the ice. When the temps came back
up, voila! The fish were swimming around fine. 3 years in row. Same deal, 3 and 4 times per winter. Maybe
it's different down in Fla, but this doesn't sound right, and hasn't since I read an article after it happened.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: