ATJ

Old Sea Dog
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just ordered some new implements - various shapes and sizes of forceps. What is the best way to stop them corroding due to the seawater? Is it just a matter of rinsing them in freshwater or is something more rigourous required?

I assume they are stainless steel. I still have my forceps from my discecting kit from undergraduate days. They didn't start corroding until I started using them on my tanks.

Fredrik

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I do, rinse them in freshwater and wipe them dry with a towel. No problems using the same stainless-steel forceps for almost two years.

/Fredrik

ATJ

Old Sea Dog
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paula,
I got mine from a MO place in Queensland, Australia. The do ship OS, but I don't know how long it would take to get to Boston, let alone somewhere near it.
icon_wink.gif
The place is called ProSciTech. With the current US/Oz exchange rate it should be quite cheap for you.

Sea Serpent

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ATJ,
Where did you order your instruments - I have been looking for an on-line place from which to order -
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
PaulaO

rshimek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

Do you remember what they used to say in history classes, that the Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, nor Roman, nor an empire? Well, you will find out that stainless steel is neither stainless nor is it steel....

Rinse your stuff well in fresh water and either air dry or dry with a cloth. Don't dry it with paper towels, many of these contain formalin residues and you can introduce enough from some of them to harm some animals in your systems.

icon_cool.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: