• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

laserted

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any known cause (and removal?) of what appears to be a white cauliflower-like patch that has formed on my open brain coral recently? It's quite hard, though I can't determine if it's a calcium deposit. I suppose I could chip it off if necessary, though it doesn't seem to be impeding the coral's functions.
Thx,
Ted.

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TedH:
<strong>Is there any known cause (and removal?) of what appears to be a white cauliflower-like patch that has formed on my open brain coral recently? It's quite hard, though I can't determine if it's a calcium deposit. I suppose I could chip it off if necessary, though it doesn't seem to be impeding the coral's functions.
Thx,
Ted.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ted, Any way you could post a picture? My first thought is that it might be a form of reproduction that we call polyp bailout. It also could be a form of cancer; cancer doesn't only occur in humans.

laserted

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the hard stony bits have gone soggy - most likely a protozoan or bacterial infection then. Anyways, I gave it a freshwater + Tech-D bath. And summarily killed it. Or at least most of it (the coral, that is). The majority of the mantle (? - flesh) dissolved away hours later and were either netted or sucked ionto the skimmer. There's still some green glow in and around the mouthparts, but I believe there isn't much hope for it. Oh well.

cheers,

Ted

HK StYle

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My green brain in my 4footer had the same situation but now i moved it to the bottom of the tank and its gone, probally it was lack on light.

Stephen

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: