Robin W

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. Found this forum while lookingf for info on "Dobby" our new red octopus. The Mrs brought it home to catch a pistol shrimp in the tank. Says it was only $30 (she gets wholesale from work). Well, so far he's eaten everything in the tank except a blue damsel and a goby.
We have a magnetic glass cleaner that he will not allow to be used, he attacks it and pulls it down into the rocks every time we try to use it. Kinda funny, actually. He's eating freeze dried krill quite readily and we've fed him a couple of crayfish so far. All the corals are going to have to go for store credit at a pet shop Robin used to work at, I don't think they'll do too good in the tank, especially with Dobby's constant rearranging.
We did read the article by Rob Toonen. Maybe we would've tried a trap for the pistol instead of the ocotpus if we had known, but impulse is a simpulse does.

Look forward to more conversations and such,

David & Robin W

Robin W

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about the crayfish. How long will they live in the salt water? Long enough for the octopus to find them I hope.

WRASSER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) Robin W,
how's the weather in IL.? Dobby is a real sensitive creature. My cousin has an atlantic oct., it attacks the power heads in the tank, becuse they make too much noise. I too read that articel on housing an octopus. I would not take the live rock out, maybe some of them.Remember if Dobby is not happy it will try to get out.Clean h2o and alot of o2 will help keep this critter home. You can also buy fresh shrimp and hand feed her. Another thing to do is buy fresh clams or oysters and watch her try (she will) to open them. You can really have alot of fun with her as long as you keep her home.
good luck!

wrasser 8)

Robin W

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. So far so good. Robin brings home live crayfish from work but our neighbor suggegted a japaneese grocer nearby where we can get them much cheaper. I bet they also have other shellfish either live or very fresh. All the fish are gone except a fast yellowtail damsel and a long goby who lives under the rocks.

PS Weather is excellent so far in the 70's until Saturday when we drop down into the 60's.

WRASSER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
robinw,

glad to hear everything is well, have you tried hand feeding yet? crabs, hermit crabs, clams, and shrimp are a good food sorce too. you could take fresh jumbo shrimp, cut it up into medium chunks and feed her with a small stick. then just work your way to feeding her with your hand. good luck with her and the weather, soon it will be cold! :!: :D

good luck,

wrasser 8)

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Octopus, I am afraid to tell you to take a good look at its tankmate, as one day you woke up, Dobby's tankmate will be on the MIA list.

Crayfish can live for a while in saltwater, depends on which specie it is, some are more tolerant of full strength saltwater.

But usually, to fully appreciate the cunniness and beauty of the octopus, you should refrain from feeding live food to it, instead, you can easily train him to take food from your hands or even hide food in snap on containers and watch him learn to open it.

Robin W

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the octopus will take food from our hands already. It's kinda creepy with the suckes on the fingers. How do you tell the sex? Anyhow, it is cool but a messy tank inhabitant. We're up to weekly plus water changes. Using a Marineland H.O.T. Magnum on one end of the tank and an Aquarium Systems protein skimmer on the other end with the air intake set for lots of bubbles.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: