• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

douggiestyle

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I noticed what first appeared to be a spider web in my tank. surprised I figured it must be a few hairs. later when I looked it was gone, the hairs must have been swept away? a couple of days later I ran into some bad luck with a float switch and a kalk reactor and ended up rearranging the whole tank. I forgot about the hairs.

this evening I noticed some more hair in the tank. only instead of a spider web they where long strands each about 3-4 inches long. each one was coming out of a calcareous tube that measures apx. 1/16" in dia. and apx. 3/8" in length. the tube is translucent with a small white "worm" inside. when I touched the tube the "worm" quickly retreated to the base of the tube.

it slowly releases a single filament (hair) into the flow of water where it (the filament) collects floating detritus that adhere along its entire length. after which the worm slowly reels in the
filament and, I am assuming, eats the detritus. in an area of less water flow the filament is flaked across the rock giving a spider web look. the filament does not move as is the case of a spaghetti worm, but is mearly released and then reeled in. I would have to say that the entire process occurs over the period of an hour or longer.

any ideas? have I stumbled on something new?

Thanks, Doug

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a picture it's impossible to say. My guess at the moment would be a Vermetid Snail:

tubworm2.jpg

Regards,
David Mohr

douggiestyle

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a snail. some type of tube worm. sessile.
a picture is out of the question. i do not have a good macro lens. maybe i could draw it.

my german is not good. is that "goodbye, we'll miss your sense of humor, see you in the after life."? what is "gluck"? is it like "glug"?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
douggiestyle":34jdfa8h said:
not a snail. some type of tube worm. sessile.
a picture is out of the question. i do not have a good macro lens. maybe i could draw it.

my german is not good. is that "goodbye, we'll miss your sense of humor, see you in the after life."? what is "gluck"? is it like "glug"?

A vermetid snail looks like a tube worm. :wink:
gluck und frieden is a colloquial German term for joy and comraderie ( sitting around drinking and b.s.ing ).

Regards,
David Mohr

douggiestyle

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's it. the picture. vermitid.
friend or foe?

thanks for the gluck und frieden.

thanks for the picture. that is a snail? i would have never guesed. do they move?

Thanks david

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
douggiestyle":34ec1z8i said:
that's it. the picture. vermitid.
friend or foe?

thanks for the picture. that is a snail? i would have never guesed. do they move?

They are harmless filter feeders. They tend to stay stationary unless their tubes are disturbed or damaged.

Regards,
David Mohr

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: