• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jims47

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read Julian's article with great interest. The only question it didn't answer for me is budding. My 3 year old Goniopora stokesi (3 yrs. in my tank)has given me two buds. One is about 3 mm with currently 4 tentricles(sp?) the other about 5mm with 7 tentricles(sp?). How do I care for them? I currently have a small piece of eggcrate on them to keep from losing them in the substrate, but I would really like to adhere them to a rock so as not to lose them. Would Ross super glue work, as was suggested to me? Or will they attach on their own. Can anyone point me in the right direction, either through advise or articles I may read. They are currently 4 mo. old since I first noticed them and have doubled in size(approx) since first seeing them. Thanks in advance for any help.
Jim
Article:Captive Husbandry of Goniopora spp with Remarks About the Similar Species Alveopora
(Julian Sprung)

SpicyBalls

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow... had your goniopora stokesi for 3 years? what's your secret? do you add iron and manganese? feed phytoplankton?

jims47

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed with DT's and my own culture I make up. I don't use manganese. I do supplement iron. Actually it is going on 3 years and 4 moths. in my tank. I was really surprised to see the two buds as I saw no clue something was about to happen. They are perched next to the parent. I think I will super glue them to their own rock, I am afraid of losing them. Also once a week when it is fully extended I stir up the sb a bit and let the power head wash it over it. Not much just enought to cloud it up a bit. If my daughter ever brings over her Dig. cam I'll post some pics of the little ones. Sure hope I don't srew things up using super glue, but I can not find any info pertaining to the reproduction/anchoring of them. I suspect they do it on their own as in the wild, but like I said I am afraid of inadvertnly(sp?)
losing them doing a wc, @53 I have been known to forget things ;-)
Maybe I posted this in the wrong forum...hmmmmm

SpicyBalls

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm still trying to learn more about gonioporas... to my understanding... stokesi are free standing while all or most other varieties of goniopora attach to substrate? nevertheless, i would do the same as you and attach the offspring to something so they don't get moved about...

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reading Julian's article from 2002, it appeared he was about to put the iron and manganese idea to the test. Did this end up taking place? Any updates or progress since 2002 on this topic?

I was following a thread on an European forum where the latest craze seems to be the addition of Vodka to reduce nitrates and phosphates. Several people have reported no negative reaction on behalf of most their corals except for Goniopora which seems to be effected by this practice. Some suggested due to the lower nitrate levels...

Sorry if I'm asking something very outdated, I tried to search for updates on the iron/manganese topic and didn't come up with any updates since the original article.

Regards
Giancarlo

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: