AlA

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi,

I hope this is in the correct forum;

I am setting up an ADA 60-P (18 gallon). I have the ADA, an MP-10, and AI Sol Blue LEDs. The tank is going to be barebottom and have ~10-15lbs LR. For aesthetic reasons, I initially planned on running a canister filter (Fluval G3) with lilypipes so i could use an inline heater and keep all hardware/wires out of the tank (except the MP-10 wet side of course). After being aware of canisters being "nitrate factories" and "a bad idea" for a while, I am just now getting cold feet about using one as I sit down tonight to purchase one, of course.

(sidenote: I can't have a sump in my apt and I don't want a HOB or skimmer for aesthetic reasons, although I would run a Mame skimmer if I could get my hands on one).

Does anyone have any alternative ideas on what I can do here? Is there any other way to run a heater inline without a canister? Could I connect a lilypipe to a waterpump and then to the inline heater and back into the tank (the pump would have to be hidden below the tank of course!)? Or should I incorporate a phosban reactor and have the heater on the return of that? I'm not opposed to doing weekly, significant WCs to keep the water in check if I did happen go without any filtration other than the LR, but I wanted a little more advice before I make that decision. I do like the idea of the canister keeping the water crystal clear.

Heater aside, I'm also wondering if it's worth using a canister if I will have to spend just as much time weekly cleaning the canister out as I would doing 'larger' WCs which would be the case if I ran no canister/filter.

Planned livestock includes 2 clowns, BTA, CUC, softies, lps, maybe some sps.

Reef veterans please help me out! What would you do in this situation?

Thanks

Last edited:

AlA

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
what is your cleaning process like? do you take out al the rocks and clean them? I've been curious about how people run their canisters with rubble. i will certainly have enough rock left over to do this.

anyone else have any thoughts?

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I run a canister filled with live rock rubble you could alsoS and carbon or gfo. jmo
This would work in your tank as you won't have enough rock anyway.
Don't worry about filtering the water. Water in a saltwater tank usually stays crystal clear with no filtration although in that tank you may need to occasionally put some filtering media in the canister for a day then remove it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: