petecomas

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my very first tank in August of last year. So here are the first birthday pictures (a few days early).

(If you've followed my "fighting clowns" thread, you'll see what I mean in the pictures.)

100_1737.jpg

100_1742.jpg

100_1744.jpg

100_1745.jpg

petecomas

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 28g JBJ nano cube with stock LED lights and stock pumps. No skimmer. I have a sponge in the overflow box with a bag of chemipure (change every couple of months) in the second chamber. The bottom chamber is empty.

The bulk of my rockwork (about 35-40 pounds) is about two-thirds of the way back from the front glass. Behind it I keep some macroalgae. I put a DSB back there too with about 5 inches of aragonite and about 2 inches of crushed coral over it. I didn't take pictures of behind the rockwork since there isn't really much to see back there. I keep about 2 to 3 or so inches of very course crushed coral and even large pebbles in the front, pus a few empty snail shells for the hermits. I prefer the look of a course substrate.

Livestock includes the two ocellaris clowns, a sixline wrasse, a fire shrimp, a derasa clam, a crocea clam, two gorgonians, orange and blue rics, different colored mushrooms, lots of xenia, lots of gsp, and a half-dozen or so different zoa morphs. The only stony coral I have is a small colony of acans that are basically just surviving. They have kept their color and haven't died, but they haven't really reproduced or grown. All my soft corals have done really well so far.

My camera sucks BTW. What types of cameras do other people use?

petecomas

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a pretty strict water change schedule, so I'm pretty confident that I'm removing enough waste that way. I do occassionaly get some nuissance algae, but I use a wire brush to remove it from the rocks and then siphon it out when I clean the tank. With frequent water changes and rock scrubbing, 28g is really not that hard to keep clean and stable. If I had a bigger tank (50+ gallons), I'd definitely use a skimmer.

petecomas

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also helps that most of the livestock is rather hardy soft corals. It's hard to kill xenia, gsp, mushrooms, and zoas. I don't have SPS and the only LPS is an acan, so 100% pristine water quality isn't a necessity.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: