• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

qwuintus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to start a 20 gallon long.

I have a 55 FO that i add 1-2 gallons every other day.
What can i expect to do with a 20gallon long with MH on it?

how do i add water? for the 55 i just toss it into the filter and let it mix up the salt water with new water.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is best to have your make-up water added automatically. Adding 1 to 2 gallons of freshwater to a 20G would cause too much of a swing in the salinity and possibly the temperature. I don't know what the evaperation on your new 20 will be, but with MH lighting, it'll prolly be a gallon per day or more.

Can you get a doing pump or a float switch? Either would make your life a little easier and it's better for your tank.

HTH

Louey

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to have a nano of that size, at least one could keep a few nice fish in that size system and still not stress it too heavily. Nothing beats electric dosing pumps for topoff, unless there is some kind of power outage...knock on wood. Ive used the gravity-fed drip systems and most of them change the rate (slower) as the water drops, so they arent very reliable for topoff unless you have a large reservoir that could buy some time. I like the float switch idea, and would try that if I ever get one this big. Has anyone used the "nurce" products? apparently they use some kind of special vaccuum to produce the drip and its a more steady rate... never had one though. just an idea

Brandon

littleprince

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 high with pc, and 2 fans. I evaporate about .75 liter per day.

For top off, I use a bucket, air line tubing connected to a air gang valve to control drip. and it just drips 24/7. at night i added in kalk premixed and that drips at night.

I'll get my tmh tonight, cant tell you the exact evap, coz it'll be a bit differtn coz i have to light acclimatize first but in a few weeks if you still dunno email me or something.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 175w MH over my 10 gallon hex with a 3" fan blowing continuously while the light is on. I evaporate about 5 cups a day with the light on about 9 hours a day. HTH.

-AM-

TiGs

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 10gal and I top off w/freshwater 3 times a day. Once in the morning, evening, and before lights out about quarter cup each time. Lights(48W PC) are on 9 1/2 hrs a day.

Undergrad- that's a lot of cups for top offs. I didn't know having 175W MH would make such a huge difference in water evap. Something for me to take into consideration when I upgrade my lights to MH.

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the gravity fed topoff that works like a water cooler, and it works just fine at keeping up with my evap no matter how low the reservoir is. I lose about a gallon a day in my 30 gallon.

wetworx101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, check out glazer's last post @ nano-reefs.com for his auto top off system. I built one very similar and it cost me very little money:
1 float switch from floatswitches.net = $2
some clear hose
rubbermaid 2.5g container w/ lid
an extension cord to cannibalize
a small powerhead...the smaller the better $12
and there you have it!! You could just add a larger container, like a 7 gallon bucket, and be able to top off larger tanks too!!
See...
When the switches float goes too low, it lets current run through the extension cord I have it spliced in to...letting the powerhead pump water in. Cheap, no!! I use them on a couple of my tanks.

Attachments

• auto topoff.jpg
    auto topoff.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 2,066

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: