• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

adamt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi guys, havent posted in a while but I have an idea I wanted to run by yall. Its getting to be bulb time and I had the idea of running all ati blue + (8 bulbs over a 65g). Right now Im using a kz fiji pink two aqua blue specials (12,000k) and five blue +. Its a really nice color and I get good growth and flourescence from my sps, but I started ith only three blue + and kept adding till i ran out. With the addition of each new blue bulb the corals perk up the colors increase and I am happier and happier with the look.

The other option Im considering is cutting 3 blue + and ditching the fiji pink and going 6 aqua blue special and 2 blue + I saw a tank set up like that and it was a crisp almost perfectly clear effect. It didnt look washed out and there was still decent flouresence. Could gor 2 blue + 1 true actinic and 5 aqua blue specials for a clear crisp look with strong flourescence.

Obviously these ideas are at opposite ends of the spectrum (no pun intended lol), but I would love to get yalls thoughts on these light combos.

jr973

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
415   0   0
That's the thing with blue the more blue the more color u get out of corals imo its like mh if u do 250 mh or better u get great growth color is good also but gets better when runnin t5 along with mh I know aquatic obssessions runs a lot of blue on there frag tank and colors look insane

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
adam where u been hiding ? if you want to come buy i will show u 4 blue + 3 blue special and a kz fiji purple, tank is at around 14-1k color appearance. and on point and levle water quality will get more growth and better color then the best light vs worst light

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
Ati bulb are good had them in my 8 bulb set up but now i use all KZ bulb and man the color are more brighter then thay were with the ATI bulbs . Us this 4 KZ super blues 10x more bluer than ATI blue+, 2 KZ new gens nice white blue color , 2 KZ fiji purple . You will get more color pop and more grow from my experience and other people that did the swicth experience it to with KZ bulbs.

Last edited:

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Ati bulb are good had them in my 8 bulb set up but now i use all KZ bulb and man the color are more brighter then thay were with the ATI bulbs . Us this 4 KZ super blues 10x more bluer than ATI blue+, 2 KZ new gens nice white blue color , 2 KZ fiji purple . You will get more color pop and more grow from my experience and other people that did the swicth to KZ bulbs.
If they are bluer than the ATI, It's because they are higher on the Kelvin scale. Do you know what # they are or temp? I believe the ATI Blue + are 20 K, I could be wrong though.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I saw that the KZ super blue is a 22k bulb, so that would explain the bluer look. As for par on the ATI from what I have seen it is right around that area as well 311-315 is what I have seen listed. But I don't know how far away from the bulb the reading I have and the reading you have was taken from. Or which fixture they were used in or if they were the same length bulb. I have seen some of the shorter bulbs have less PAR then sume of the longer higher wattage bulbs. The Reading I got was from a 48" 54w bulb.

Last edited:

adamt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
can u show a true color rendering of the tank under the 8 kz bulbs? Id love to see it. I havent been thrilled with any of the purple bulbs on the market, I know they have good par and some people insist they need them for flourescence but Ive always found the the blue bulbs make my corals pop better than the purple bulbs. I think I might go 3 ati blue + 3 kz super blues and 2 geismann 10,000k that should give me all the red and white light i need and the mixture of the blues should really make the corals pop. Im excited to try it Ill post pics when bulbs arrive.

Hey reefnoob... yeah man I kinda fell off the face of the earth for a while there, i got majorly obsessed with hunting and pretty much went off the grid for a while. Tank feel by the way side but its turning around now, I found a store that has the most insane zoas not to mention their other corals for really really low prices... we need to take a field trip on like friday or saturday theyll have a new shipment and ill have my paycheck lol.

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
I have it and it increased my colors and a few member here also you have antony27 now uses KZ and wont go back to ATI and you have constantne also if you want talk to them . As for wes Im talking from experience not from talk it the best even if you go to reefcentral theres alot of people there to that us them. SO what your saying wes is that ATI fixture are crap because alot of zeo head sware buy them to.

Last edited:

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am not saying anything is crap (other than my new product lol) but when you get opinions from a forum full of fanboys they could be a bit biased.

I am a member on many forums. The KZ Fiji purple Is popular but you don't see many people who use KZ bulbs exlusively.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
< use's 1 kz figi purple and this is how guys have colors with there camera's and to the eye, you take that piece and move it under a different bulb and the color changes. it makes pinks and reds pop and coraline glow, i use it and a ati blue plus for sunrise, and out of all the t5's fixture's ect retro as well the ati is the cream of the crop, had the sunpower as well, , example, before i had the ati's i had a tek 8 bulb that i had made fan cooled and used same bulbs, my 6 bulb sunpower was brighter then the 8 bulb tek, and this isnt from forums or biased this is from personal use

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes but when you visit a forum dedicated to a certain product brand (zeovit.com) it's even worse.

It's like going to a Mac user's forum and asking which brand of laptop to buy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: