chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have an Oceanic 29g with a Maxi jet 1200 working as circulation pump. Simple reef tank with shrooms, frogspawn, couple fish. Nothing too intense.

Specs say the MJ 1200 can move up to 295 gals per hour but i recognize you wont get that much flow if its in the sump and circulating. How much flow do you think it actually provides when used in that way?

And so how much bigger a pump should i put in the tank? Another Maxi 1200 seems like too much. I've got some smaller pumps but don't want to put in a small pump that will add more heat to the tank than flow....

Most sources seem to indicate 10-20 times the flow for the basic stuff. But wondering how much flow others use.

Chase

jnelson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I have an Aquapod 24G with a MJ1200 as the return pump, plus two powerheads (Koralia Nano 240 and Koralia 1).

The way I have them positioned, the Koralia 1 deflects off the glass for indirect flow and the 240 is directed right in the path of the Koralia 1 to add some turbulence/randomness to the flow. Been keeping softies and some LPS (frogspawn, candy canes) with no problems. Also have two clownfish who love swimming with the flow, and a damsel who seems to be hosting one of the powerheads LOL.

Bottom line is, you won't really have any problems no matter what you do - it depends on how you position things. However, if the corals and fish are happy as-is, don't change a thing.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I got 2 MJ1200's in a JBJ 28. Moves alot more water then the stock pumps did. Only problem is that if I run them together they pump the water out of the rear chamber faster then the overflow can take it in....and they create alot of heat, got them on a wavemaker to take care of that.

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The tunze looks very nice but seems like a lot of flow for a 29g tank if Ive already got an MJ1200 as my return pump. I especially like the low power pull

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: