das75

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a scooter blenny and a yellow wrasse after assurance from the LFS that they wouldn’t be a problem to keep and realizing now it was a mistake (I know, I know, research first then buy). I’ve seen the blenny eating frozen enriched brine as well as frozen mysis but worry about a pod supply.

Anyway, I see references and done search for pod piles for the blenny but not seeing details. I initially set up my tank using egg crating to support ~ 40lb LR with a substrate of coarse CC and coral frags. Since then I have removed most of the CC and frags (except what was below and covering the crating in the spaces between the rocks) and added 90 lb of oolite with about 2 lb of LS about 2 weeks ago. The area is about 24”x6” would this be enough to keep the pods ups.

Tank is 75g, no sump

JTW

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
das 75

You have plenty of surface area, but you may want to look into a refugium. Since you don't have a sump, you could a simple acrylic box in your tank that has some circulation through it. They sell these or you can make one. If you don't have a place for the pods to maintain their population, then the fish you have can wipe them out.

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi J and welcome! Looking forward to your participation and input in this forum!

Cheers
James Wiseman

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, JTW is our new author for the Beginner's Column. His first column will appear January 15th. He is a professional setup and maintenance man for all kinds of aquariums.

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, neither of your fish rely on live pod to thrive. Acrylic boxes as JTW suggeted can be a great way of providing refuge to pods. Just fill them with coarse chunks of LR and make sure none of your fish can get inside, and provide plenty of circulation through the box.

Both the blenny and the wrass can be slowly trained to accept bits of flakes. The blenny is harder, but not too difficult.

t-byrd

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got a male and female scooter blenny.
both grub on brine shrimp.
both of them did at the lfs too, so i dont know how easy it
is to train them to eat it, but mine love them.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, Id like to add that one of the main things you can do in addition to providing some form of physical refuge is to feed them directly with high-quality food. Squirt it right into their refuge area. If you want a higher proportion of pods in a system--do all the things it takes to select for them, provide extra food and shelter.

If you will feed them HBJ brand soft frog pellets, I swear you have never seen copepods of all kinds freak out any harder on a meal. Crabs, shrimp and everything including corals will feed on these magic morsels.

HTH

Brandon M.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: