A

Anonymous

I am considering one or more of these cuties. I am hopeful other reefers can share their experiences with this fish, and also offer any opinions on whether I should get one or several of these gorgeous fish. TIA!

Chris

mkirda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChrisPrusha":2746n4bo said:
I am considering one or more of these cuties. I am hopeful other reefers can share their experiences with this fish, and also offer any opinions on whether I should get one or several of these gorgeous fish. TIA!

Chris

Chris,

They are a deeper water species than the reds from what I know.
They tend to appear in small groups (2-3) in the wild. Typically live in smaller caves in the reef structure, eating plankton that floats by, always ready to dart into a cave if threatened.
In tanks, they tend to jump and go carpet surfing.
You might want to add something to keep them in the tank, either a glass cover or a canopy, or even a small fence around the top. I've only had one, which I found dried one day after work, behind the tank. (Had canpoy that covered three sides, but not the back...)

Normally, these are not a cyanide target either, so I'd say go for it, but make sure it eats flake food first, and be aware that it will jump if spooked.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, guys! The tank is completely covered, so no worries there. Perhaps this weekend... :D

Thanks again!

Chris

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chris,

Let me know how you make out with the Purple, as that is one of the fish in my stocking plan about a year away

Thanks

Bryan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people use prepared plankton (fish food), some catch it off-shore, some setup a refugium, while some get it into tank by accident (snail reproducing, etc.).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is via 'fuge. Besides the "carpet surfing" issue, I've found them to be hardy little fishes, too.

Reefman150

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for about 8 months now and he never even goes near the surface. I do have a deep tank-31" high, but he stays in the lower 12". He eagerly accepts mysis shrimp and zooplankton. Sleeps in a hole in a rock. Beautiful, friendly fish that never bothers anything. Great fish!

Attachments

• dscn0735b.jpg
    dscn0735b.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 3,548
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for a year in an 80 gallon with no top. He never went near the surface. I didn't know at the time they were jumpers. I also didn't know at the time that dottybacks were so aggressive, and when I added a neon arabian the firefish wouldn't come out of his hole. The firefish got along fine with a pygmy angel, clown, and tang though.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neon Dotty back is fine with all my other fish. When he is threatened by my damsel he does stand his ground and I have seen him wim in a little scuffle. Other than that at first My fire fish and Neon work great together.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: