fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice new forum to have, i guess i will ask my question here. rock is still curing in a tub and i will wait patiently. it does not smell but i am in no big rush so i will let it sit for at least 2 more weeks. water is in the tank with 4 inch aragonite sand. should i throw in a few pieces of live rock into the tank to get it going?? since the sand is not live and the water was mixed so i dont know if there is anything to get the bacteria going.

tia

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would finish the cure in the tub. Seems to be more nuisance algae problems when you cure in main tank. With what's in the tub, are you using any sort of filtration,circulation, heating etc? When you do finally transfer the live rock over to the main tank, be sure to very slowly add livestock, and watch your parameters closely during the first couple of months. Also, do not use water from the tub in the main tank-it'll cause you headaches later.

fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i plan to cure most of it in the tub but how about a little like 5 pounds to get my 100g going with the nitrogen cycle?

mkirda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fungia":2fnytfb3 said:
i plan to cure most of it in the tub but how about a little like 5 pounds to get my 100g going with the nitrogen cycle?

Sure thing, go for it. Add some handfuls of live sand if you can, and/or a detrivore kit as well...

Not a bad idea to feed it ever so lightly after adding live sand too.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or, continue the cure entirely in the tub, but get the sand started by feeding it (raw shrimp, a cube or two of fish food, flake, etc.).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put a little rock in the tank. The bacterial are not going to reach high populations, but I assume they will spread throughout the tank. Can't hurt, imo.

EmilyB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cured it all in the tank. However, I did not have problem hitchhikers like many do.

I'm adding some rock and will cure it in a glass tank this time, just to be safe before adding to an existing tank. But since there is nothing in your tank? I presume.. why not cure it in there? :?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: