A

Anonymous

Ok, I think I've done my homework fairly well. I've been ordering parts and supplies as my checkbook allows, and this has given me plenty of time to read just about every post on this website, a billion articles and a few books. I feel well equipped with knowledge to start the ole reef up. All I have left to purchase is the light, which should be next payday.

HOWEVER.

Sumps and refugiums confuse me. Particularly, the design and construction thereof. I've seen all the little diagrams. I've seen people's meticulous screenshots. I've read the horror stories about tank drainage. It's all quite overwhelming.

I need some help with SIMPLICITY. I really want to create a sumpfugium out of one of my left over aquariums, because of the benefits of having more water volume and a place to farm macro algae etc ...

Can anyone help me out with a simple design? I live in an apartment, have limited space and no tools or workbench to construct this junk on. I pretty much have to keep it below the aquarium.

Any love, broccoli?

A

Anonymous

First of all, the main difference between a sump and a refugium is the relative height of the water line to the main tank's. If the tank is below the main tank, it is sump.

In summary, the relationship between a refugium and the display tank is the same as a display tank to the sump:

refug -> display == display -> sump.

For some setup, it is difficult to tell which class it is because the sump is almost as good as the main display.

Anyway, there are many way to set up a sump. One of the easiest way without much efford is to get overflow box, return pump, and some tubing and get it setup without drilling. It really depends on your current setup (buildin overflow available, predrilled tank, etc.) so you may want to tell us specifics about your tank and we can go from there.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. I found this hang on back refugium that I think will work well without having to do any homebrew plumbing.

ps i was sorta using the term sump / fuge loosely because often times, i see them combined in one unit. sorry!

-me

reefsRcool

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's really not that hard to set up a combination sump and refugium. i used a 10 under my newest tank and it is working well. my 75 had a 30 under it and worked awsome as well. all you need to do is place a waterproof barier some alowing enough room on one side for your return pump. silicone it in place sealing it so water on one side will not seep to the other. Leave it an inch or so shorter then the tank is. the larger area is where you put the fug. divert some of the overflow to the fug side and it will run over the top of the barier and into the sump side. the materials needed will vary depending on what size tank you will be using. on the ten i was able to get away with using a piece cut from a rubbermaid tote i had kicking around. On larger spans you will need something more rugged, home depot has all sorts of small acrilic sheets and they can be cut with a hacksaw right on the kitchen table. no major fabrication involved.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, the last time I looked on Ebay, there were several sumps for sale already made. If you don't have the time or tools to DIY, pay someone else to DIY

BRyan :lol:

Yellotang

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seven ephors":emco2jon said:
First of all, the main difference between a sump and a refugium is the relative height of the water line to the main tank's. If the tank is below the main tank, it is sump.

Don't mean to rain on your parade but thats a bad definition.

Refugium and sumps can also be above the tank (who would want a sump above the display, unless it was also a surg tank.) or below the tank (which both my sump and refugium is below the display tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mean to rain on your parade but thats a bad definition.
Yeah, most of the time definition is difficult since many people use terms loosely. Hobby, unlike more rigorous disciplines, lacks the "official" organization like ANSI, FDA, IEEE, NIST, etc., to make standards and definition.

Some people put algea in the sump, and get some of the benefit of refugium, i.e., critter than can reproduct in the "protective" area and can provide food for the fish/invert in the display.

However, sump usually is below the tank since the term has to do with gravity fed container.

We can argue about definition forever, but the point that I was trying to make is that the plumbing analogy between tank and sump vs. refug. and tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: