LT62

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my understanding that Ca Reactors will raise the PH of a tank. And a kalkreactor will lower the PH. Wrong?? I think I want to get the Ca Reactor but I not sure how to keep the PH in the Tank from getting to high.

I found out that apparently one can buy a solenoid for the CO2 tank of the Ca reactor that stops CO2 once the PH reaches a certain level. Won't this lower the effectiveness of the reactor??? In my fish only tank I use a buffer. Will this work or will it cause problems with the reactor??

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca Reactors will raise the PH of a tank. And a kalkreactor will lower the PH
I think you have the effect backward... you may want to double check that...

Anyway, the effect above is only temporary, since with good gas exchange in a properly setup reef tank, the excessive carbonic acid (ca rxtor) or excessive base (high pH og kalk) will disappear. This is one of the main advantage of these reactors.

The solenoid will decrease the total, net amount of ca output, but sine ca rxtor is usually overrated for the tank, it still can do a pretty good job if it work 50% of the time, for example. Most of the time, the solenoid is not needed, IMO.

will it cause problems with the reactor??
Once you have the rxtor running, I doubt that you will need to touch the buffer at all.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: