• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I'm about ready to set up my aquarium. Fikkin finally! One question tho: I was sorta thinking of taking one of the crappier peices of live rock when I finally get some, and using a big mallet to smash it into frags, because i'll need a few for in my 'fugium ... however, smashing a whole chunk of live rock for like 5 frags in a small refugium isn't all that cool. I was thinking of putting some of the other frags in my display tank, like scatter some rubble around the base of the reef, etc, or maybe a neat pile in a corner .. who knows.

1. Is this cool?
2. Will growing stuff "creep" over the frag over time, not just the face but the inner facets from where it was chipped off?
3. Bloop?

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be perfectly fine to do what you're talking about. If it's soft corals, make sure that the flow is really low in that area as the frags will blow around otherwise. I have seen people take smallish rubbermaid trays, fill them with sand/rubble, stick it in a corner of your display tank on the sand, and then just drop their frags in that.

Shane

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shane-

It will work to smash up pieces of live rock, but why do so when you can buy rubble rock from your LFS for cheaper than bigger pieces? It's the same thing except you don't to do the work and save money.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm ... I guess I will have to visit the LFS and doublecheck, but I don't think I have seen rubble rock at any of the LFS' around here. And now that I think of it, I bet they would use that as a reason to charge me more or give me low quality stuff ...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Righty has that same kind of set up as liquid mentioned, but in his sump (that's under the house--The Sump Fort!). IIRC, he's got the trays (they actually look like litterboxes) with a very deep sand bed, >4", I believe he tosses in anything that looks iffy, or has broken off, or anything he's intentionally fragged. Anyway, the sand is very fine by the looks of it, and I think he's getting great results.

As to the l/r, you could also use a drill to better control how and where the rock breaks up. I see no reason why you can't do this, either.

Kara

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of LFS don't actually sell 'rubble' normally, but if you ask them about it, they are usually more than willing to dig some out for you and usually at a discounted price.

I made a pile of rubble in one of the back corners of my tank. I call it the 'pod palace'. It is literally swarming with 'pods, worms, mysid shrimp and other tiny tank creatures. These rubble piles are great for 'pod farming!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: