• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Otter

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8O :roll: :? I'm wondering just how heavy Diatom algea can get. My rock and sand is covered with a nice carpet of brown. I also have these small "bubble" like plants growing on my rock I don't think it's bubble algea only because it's not really a slimly looking bubble it looks just like a small plant. I'm 3 plus weeks into my cycle all my levels are good Ammonia is "0" Nitrite is "0" my Nitrate is 13.2 ppm, My Alk is at 10.6 DKH and my Calcium is at 452ppm. I've tested for Phosphate and silicate and both around .1ppm. I'm using RO/DI and I've done 3 water changes approximatly 25% each time. My temp is at 79 degrees and my SG is 1.024. Any suggestion on what I can do to clear this stuff up would be greatly appreciated. I have also added a small clean up package.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These kinds of blooms are very natural for cycling tanks, so I'd wait it out a bit. Do some large water changes after the cylce is complete.

If the diatoms persist after the tank is cycled, comb-mouthed algae eating fish such as many blenny species and Ctenochaetus tangs (kole, chevron, etc.) do a good job at "brushing" it off the rocks.

You might also want to consider a silicate resin for your RO/DI and use a phosphate/silicate sponge for a while to remove what you can. Diatoms won't grow without either of these elements so if you can remove or reduce phosphates and silicates, their population should start to wean.

BTW, the small bubble-like algae sounds to me like a species of grape Caulerpa, possibly C.rancomosa.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Len said.

It sounds like you are off to a great start and are taking good care of your new system.

Louey

Otter

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information I was considering a sponge for the silicate/phosphate but in my mind trying to avoid it. I added Caulerpa to my refugium this week and it's doing just fine. I'm trying to be real patience with this tank and wasn't really considering any fish at this point even though the kids are drilling me to buy a "fish" I want to be very picky as to what goes in. Again thanks much for the help :lol:

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, patience is golden. I guess this is as good a time to teach your kids the value of patience as any ;) Algae problems are inevitable for new tanks, and you're likely going to see some more (different kinds) come your way before your tank balances itself out. This isn't to discourage you or anything, just to prep you of the possibility. Once you push past the painful first few months, you'll appreciate the addiction of reefkeeping that much more :P

Otter

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately my kids are actually young adults the youngest being almost 17 still young enough to learn. As far as the addiction goes I have been addicted for years I had a tank setup 10 years ago and have been talking about setting another one since. The time has come the last one was a 55 this time I wanted to go bigger and I did. I remember a lot of the pain from the first tank. used tap water no no to many fish right after the cycle no no just a bunch of things that I ended up fighting with but did over come them and once I did we moved bummer We don't plan on going any where fast so. I will take my time watch my little tubes worms emerge from the rock as each day passes and add my corals and fish at a snails pace and continue to read and post. A lot has changed in 10 years and I'm a big DIY kind ( work in a machine shop )of guy So I have a calcium reactor is in my future.
Again Thanks for the info :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: