• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Otter

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question I have is this I realize that the PH in our tanks drops at night which mine is doing perfectly well. But in the morning when I give the tank the quick check before work it's down to around 8.13 - 8.15 and at night after I get home from work and the lights have been running during the day it's only up to 8.17 - 8.18. I'm using ESV every other day right now because I have no load on the tank I'm in the forth week of the cycle and all my levels test good as far as ammonia, nitrite and nitrate my temp is 78 degrees and my SG 1.024. After I add the ESV my PH goes up to 8.27 - 8.28 This is happening every day for the last week. Do I need to give the tank more time to settle in or do i need to start using a buffer ? Oh my Calcium is at 350 and my Alk or DKH is at 9.3 Still a bit low on both fronts. :)

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ESV product are you using? B-ionic works pretty well at keeping my levels consistent, but to elevate them I personally need to employ both a Ca reactor and kalkwasser in my heavily stocked tank. With that said, a lightly stocked such as yours with a pH of 8.1 to 8.2 is perfectly fine and I really wouldn't tinker with it. Trying to achieve ideal values via unnatural means sometimes does more harm then good.

Otter

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Len appreciate the info, So as my stock grows I will need to update the way things are being done to maintain levels correct? and yes ESV ionic b is what I'm using right now. I have plans to build a calcium reactor or a nielson reactor haven't made up my mind yet Thanks Again

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Otter":3ipcdct2 said:
...So as my stock grows I will need to update the way things are being done to maintain levels correct? ...

Yup, as your tank grows and matures you will have to change your scheme of things to accomidate it.

Shane

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really isn't much of a pH swing at all. Don't be alarmed if it gets somewhat bigger when you stock up.

Otter

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info I really appreciate the help, By the way does anyone have a perference Calcium Reactor over a Neilson Reactor or vice a versa. I'm not really sure which way to go. :D

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Otter":1jfka100 said:
Thanks for the info I really appreciate the help, By the way does anyone have a perference Calcium Reactor over a Neilson Reactor or vice a versa. I'm not really sure which way to go. :D

Ultimately it depends on your tank's calcium demand and the size of your tank. Typically if you have a high calcium demand and a large tank, people will use a calcium reactor on it. Some people will actually use both a Nilsen and a calcium reactor to help balance the pH out some along with using up any residual CO2 blown into the tank from the calcium reactor. People with moderate calcium requirements can use Nilsen reactors and/or 2 part additives like B-Ionic.

Shane

Otter

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Liquid :D I'm just starting to get my ducks in a row for down the road I have a plan for the tank and would like to have all my toys long before I get there. Doesn't mean that I'll hook them up right away but I would like to have them at hand. Right now I'm using ESV B-Ionic's and I've heard that it gets pretty exspensive with a 125 stocked pretty well. I was figuring on one reactor or the other didn't even consider possibly both. I would like to set this tank up pretty much with LPS and very very few fish

mkirda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Otter":16j3wfux said:
The question I have is this I realize that the PH in our tanks drops at night which mine is doing perfectly well. But in the morning when I give the tank the quick check before work it's down to around 8.13 - 8.15 and at night after I get home from work and the lights have been running during the day it's only up to 8.17 - 8.18.

You don't indicate what the nitrates are, or their recent trend....

If nitrates are rising, carbonate alkalinity gets used: As the same nitrates fall, the carbonate alkalinity is released again. Nitrification:denitrification is tightly coupled, IOW.

Regardless, the pH levels are not bad at all. Healthy tanks can run lows of 7.8 to 8.1, with highs of 8.1 to 8.4 or 8.5 even. Comparisons are not all that meaningful between tanks: The numbers are more meaningful as a measure in your own tank only. You should get a feel for what your tank runs, then note any strange readings and take action if needed.

If you feel the need to do anything, test your nitrates and your carbonate alkalinity, then post the results. Or do a water change. :D

Otherwise, don't worry. The tank is too new to worry about those numbers...

Regards.
Mike Kirda

Otter

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are at 1.1 ppm as of tuesday My Alk was at 9.3 DKH and my Calcium was at 350 ppm. I'll test everything again tonight after dinner. I'm not overly concerned with the PH just asking the question if the levels or the fluctuation is "normal" and from what you've said it is. I'll keep monitoring it as time passes and as you said get a feel for the tank itself.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: