• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

aarons_1584

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about starting a Marine tank. I have been reading alot of stuff on the internet lately, and I am more confused than ever, on what I need. I was planning on going to Wal-Mart, and getting the 55 gallon deal they have for 150.00$ for my tank, and then buying a good stand, and a good filter. Now, I am wondering if it would be better to just buy a used tank, from someone, who has all the stuff on it, and maybe get a good deal on it. What do you all think?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you want to keep in the tank? Just fish? Fish and inverts (shrimp, crabs, etc)? Or a reef tank (fish, inverts, and corals)?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case.....

There are three important things to consider ahead of time.

1) How big the tank will be.

The bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain proper water quality, but big tanks are also more expensive to filter and light.

a) Reef Ready (drilled). A drilled tank has a built in over flow box that allows you to put the filtration under the tank in the stand, usually used with trickle filters, or sumps, it also increases the over all volume of the system. Much more convenient, but also more expensive.

b) Standard. A standard tank is not drilled and you are limited to hang on the back type filtration. But they are much cheaper.

2) What kind of lighting.

Two main types for "reef" tanks. Power compacts and metal halide. Power compacts are inexpensive, don't put out very much heat, and work out pretty good for smaller tanks, but they somewhat limit you on what you can keep, because they aren't quite intense enough for some of the more light demanding corals. Metal halide are very bright, very realistic looking, and do well on larger tanks, they are more expensive (in most cases), and put put more heat, but you can pretty much keep anything under them.

3) Filtration. Depending on the size of the tank and what you put in it, there are a few options.

a) Reef ready (drilled). A sump allows you to use higher capacity filters or protein skimmers. If you don't use live rock, a trickle filter will work, but will limit you to fewer fish in the system. If you use live rock, a simple sump (empty box of water) will work fine, with a high powered protein skimmer.

b) Standard. If the tank is not drilled, you are limited to hang on back equipment. Hang on protein skimmers are not as powerful as in sump models, but are still necessary. If you are not using live rock, a hang on filter or canister filter will work, but you will be limited in how many and what types of fish you can keep. If you are using live rock, then a good hang on protein skimmer would be all that you would need.

Hope this helps!

aarons_1584

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would you advise me to get?? I am looking for a complete system, and willing to pay around $1,000.00 or more, to get started, maybe with finding a good used tank, and everything already there.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save that money and spend some time reading. This is a great site, lots of good info in the archives and the other discussion groups. Keeping any saltwater tank requires lots of patience. Many people recommend reading some books. Whatever you think it's going to cost, it's going to cost a lot more.

You have more expenses than a tank and lighting. You might want a substrate, sand or crushed coral. Many of us are using deep sandbeds. RO/DI water filtration so you have the best water and less problems with nusiance algae. Live rock. Skimmers and powerheads or a plumbed tank with a sump and a return system which gives you water movement. That sump is going to need a larger pump.

A lot on money is spent and you still don't have livestock. Sure you can get by, upgrade over time, spend even more money. Not trying to discourage you. But you really don't see packages for a certain cost. You need to decide what you want. Not all fish or corals are compatable. Take your time and try to make the best informed choice you can.

Be sure to visit the Photo Forum for some ideas and be aware that there are photos also posted in the discussion groups. And, Welcome to Reefs.org! :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would you advise me to get?? I am looking for a complete system, and willing to pay around $1,000.00 or more, to get started, maybe with finding a good used tank, and everything already there.

The best beginner size is a 75 gallon reef ready, with a 20-30 gallon sump. My advice would be to try to find the tank, stand, and sump (including return pump) first, then decide on lighting and filtration. You should be able to get that brand new for around $500 bucks, less if you shop around or buy used. Once you have the tank you will know how much you have to spend on lighting and filtration. You'll need about 50# of live rock, some substrate (aragonite, or oolite sand) to whatever depth you like , and a good skimmer. After you have all that get the best lights you can afford. Then you get to start stocking the tank. :D

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Rover's recommendation. The 75 will be a lot easier to aquascape than the 55 because it has a greater front-to-back dimension. Also gives you a lot more room for corals to grow out and for fish to swim.

BTW, one of the first books I'd recommend is Natural Reef Aquariums by John Tullock. It's a great, easy-to-read book that covers the basics.

Check here for a list of beginner books in our library.

aarons_1584

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question.... I have city water, and I have to use Chlor-Out for my water now. With a Saltwater tank, would I have to use chlor-out, and then add the Instant Sea, or does the Instant Sea take care of everything?? Also, where is the best place to buy the supplies for the Saltwater tank? My local Wal-Mart dont have ANY type of SWF products!!

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend looking into an RO or RO/DI unit for water purification if you're going to have a reef. The product water from an RO or RO/DI unit would not require any additional treatment - just use it as is for evaporation topoff or add salt mix if you're using it to fill the tank initially or do a water change. Keep in mind that you need to topoff evaporation in your tank with freshwater - not saltwater.

For supplies you can't find locally, our sponsors are always a good place to start looking.

HTH

MLVA123

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're doing really good to research first before spending your first nickle. Keep reading, posting, and reading more. You're out there in western Virginia. You may want to ride into Roanoke and see if there are any decent LFS there you can look at some setups there. I would say that you'll most certainly need to get an ionizer for your supply of water, since you probably do not have a LFS there with tanks to get your water from. Some people get that Culligan water from Walmart, but I don't know if it's any good or not. The point here is to think a lot about maintenance and how you will service the tank once it's up and running. Although it seems mighty confusing at first as to what to initially purchase, I think you'll find that if you put thought into how you will maintain your reef tank, it will help you make the right decisions up front.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: