surfing pooch

surfingpooch
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its almost time for a new addition to my tank, need some advice. I was reading about hair algae and I'm considering a blenny to help control algae. I have 4 turbo snails and hermit pack from Doc. fos'n'smith in a 30gl. the question is I have a clarkie clown, maroon basslet (fridmani pseudochromis?) and a banded coral shrimp. will a blenny be able to hold its own?

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The blenny should be able to hold it's own with the other fish, but its natural food source is micro algae not macro algae like hair algae. Also, many people think of them as easy to keep beginner fish, but from what I have heard they end up starving to death in about half of the tanks as once the micro algae is gone, they will not always eat prepared foods.

NRA223

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The blenny should be able to hold it's own with the other fish, but its natural food source is micro algae not macro algae like hair algae. Also, many people think of them as easy to keep beginner fish, but from what I have heard they end up starving to death in about half of the tanks as once the micro algae is gone, they will not always eat prepared foods.

That's the problem I'm facing now. I got my Blenny for the hair algae problem I had months ago. While it did eat some of it, it would only eat it if I pruned it back. All the hair algae has been gone for some time now and I noticed the Blenny getting skinner by the day. If it dies, so will I:sleepy: , my wife loves this fish. I've tried the Formula 2, seaweed/algae sheets on the food clip, but he won't touch it, the snail end up eating it. I feed my other fish Mysis, brine, bloodworms and flake food. I noticed, when the other fish are feeding, the blenny is a bit scared to come out of the rocks. So, I tried to target feed. The past week, he seems to take in the bloodworms the most, but he'll only eat two or three pieces.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: