• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kydsexy

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for my 20L i bought a coralife aqualight single linear strip light 1x65W. It came with a 50/50 straight pin setup. Is it possible that I would be able to find other 65W bulbs that would fit it, that are actinic? or something that would cover more of the blue spectrum. I love my 50/50, but I think I want something different. thank you very much for your help. Is there another forum I should be posting this in?

Jay

kydsexy

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks X. i was reading the descriptions of 6700K, 50/50, and actinic. I have a fish only tank, snails, a few sponges and xenia. a bunch of different macroalgaes and coralline starting to grow. which light would be best, i really want actinic but it says dusk/dawn simulation. I just want pretty, but healthy for aquatic life. is there any problem with strictly actinic?

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not X, lol ok i think they have a 10K/actinic bulb, both colors in one bulb.

how many bulbs are in your housing?

my buddy did his tank all actinic, it looked blue, it was ok, nothing wrong with doing that. I think the 6500 is the best color for macros to grow.

IslandCrow

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a single light strip, you really don't want your one light to be an actinic if you're planning on keeping any corals. They need full spectrum light, and actinic lighting is not going to give that to them. If you don't like the 50/50, maybe try a higher kelvin full spectrum bulb, like a 20,000K. I'm guessing that will be less blue, since it won't have the actinic supplementation, though. I agree that those 50/50 bulbs aren't all that blue, and they don't give you much flourescence, but ou may have to get at least a 2 bulb setup if you want to get more blue in your lighting.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't think i've seen a 20k flourescent?
meanwhile, you're quite limited.
if i wasn't buying a new light and was stuck with a single bulb deal, i'd go with a 10k or 50/50. :wink:

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFAIK a 50/50 flourescent bulb is as blue as a single PC can get without being fully actinic.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: