• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. Imma start working on my sump... What do I use for the dividers inside?.. Do I go to a glass store, make them cut the pieces and glue them with silicone?...

Or do I use something else?.. Cheaper and simple DIY better!!

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a hardware store and had them cut me the sizes i needed. Cost me $6; however, there is some material (some sort of insulation) that you can wedge the pieces in with, rather than silicone, that makes the whole process easier and removable.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i looked into glass.
for my sump, atleast, it would have been too expensive. i used cutting boards from walmart. they were 9 dollars a piece, and they cut easily with a powersaw. i tried plexiglass sheets from home depot, but they were more expensive and quite flimsy.
maybe with the smaller tank they will be ok, but i used the same plexiglass for my old 40 gallon sump, and the panels would bow when the tank filled with water.

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting Boards??... In what area in walmart, is it plastic?

Also,,, Ive noticed that the sump has three panels interlocking, something like this, What's the purpose of it?

Attachments

• SUMP.JPG
    SUMP.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,377

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After Reading a bit I think the best algae to buy is caulerpa....

Is a sand bed necessary in the refugium?

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first..the baffles in the sump are to stop the zillion tiny bubbles from continuing on into the return pump, and into the display. for no reason other than they are unsightly.

second- if you want to look at the cutting boards at walmart, you need to go to the kitchenwares section....regular, white plastic, kitchen cutting boards. if you are to choose these, you will need a circular saw with a blade with very close teeth, so not to fray the edges of the board too much. i chose marine caulk to adhere it to the glass (it came in white).

third- everyone likes different types of macroalgae for one reason or another. i happen to like to cover all angles, so i have a mix of bubble caulerpa, chaetomorpha, and some other macros i haven't identified.

most say the chaeto is best because sometimes a reaction takes place to bubble caulerpa, where it expells toxins into the tank, and can cause serious harm to your stock. if you do a search here on "bubble caulerpa" you'll get alot of info on that.

no, a sand bed is not necessary. i just find that alot of critters reside in my refugium. copapods, misis shrimp, little brittle stars, bristleworms, some snail/slug like creatures....i like to look at my refugium as much as i like to look at my display tank. i believe the deep sand bed in my 'fuge is a home for many creatures that are good for my tank.
i also have a few pounds of rubble rock(small pieces of live rock) in there as well, but you'll need to be careful to watch you don't get a buildup of waste matter in and around that rock. that too, isn't necessary to a successful refugium.

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks X

I was reading on nitrates..

With FreshWater, you should aim at keep nitrates under 20. You will never have it at 0 unless you have a heavily planted tank.

I read that in SW its possible to achieve zero nitrate by creating a deep sand bed..

Can someone comment on this?

How do you keep nitrate at 0?

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it depends on alot of things. first..how much is the bio load?
how many eating, crapping, creatures are in the tank?
how much will you feed?
what form(s) of filtration do you have?
how effective is your filtration?
what type of nutrient export do you have?
how often do you do waterchanges?

not overstocking your tank, feeding sensibly, proper filtration, waterchanges. that is how you keep your nitrates down.
they seem to want to call it "good husbandry"

:wink:

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see how that would keep the nitrates down, Thats what I used to do with Cichlids...

But keeping them at 0????.....

The article mentioned something about a deep sand bed which will grow anaerobic bacteria to decompose nitrate into nitrogen...

does anybody use this technique?

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, i do. sometimes i have zero nitrates, sometimes 5..... nothing to concern me.
i have an approximate 180 gallon total volume setup and i do 25 gallons a week.

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man what a drop.... :(

I though that nitrogen thing was gonna work... guess not.

Ok so I think I got my plans ready..

I have an AQ 110 Laying arround.... Would it be a good Idea to give it some mechanical filtration?

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't know what an aq110 is, but as far as mechanical filtration, if you want to use it, you'll need to stay on top of it. i mean cleaning it once a week or so. you would be suprised how fast those cannister filters load up and start producing nitrates.
i used to use a rena xp3 for a while. when i opened it up after a couple weeks, i had all sorts of stuff growing in it, and it didn't smell good.

btw- i'm not saying a deep sand bed won't work for you or anyone else, i'm just saying that there is mixed reviews on them. i have about 3 inches of a sugar sized fiji sand, and crushed coral mix. i don't think that's deep enough to be called a DSB, but i haven't vaccuumed it since i started the tank, because i see so much life in it.
but my tank is young. it may yet present a problem.

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ac110= AquaClear 110 HOB power filter. It pumps 500gph..

If it is how you say, then what do you use to trap the debris?.. The poop?

As for the Sand bed.. It said that you need 3-6" and do not vacuum it. This will create bacteria deep in the sand where no oxigen gets (anaerobic) that will decompose nitrate... hmm...

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't use anything. i use my skimmer. my overflow flows into the first compartment of my sump, which houses the skimmer. every once in a while i stir that compartment up a bit to unsettle everything. my skimmer grabs what it can and my tank absorbs the rest. it's an almost stand alone ecosystem. without fish, it would be.

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok....

Man Imma drive you crazy..

Can you tell me what Top off is?...

You guys add water for evaporation often to control the salinity. I this what it is?

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats what I mean... :lol: sorry....

Water evaporates, but salt doesn't. That means the salinity goes up and If not controlled will go up to much for the fish to handle.

Am I correct? Is this topoff?

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well..yes, salt won't evap. but you'll see when you get everything up and running- your last chamber in your sump- the one with the return pump, is where you will see your evaporation. it will run dry quickly if you don't stay on top of it, or get an auto top-off.
now, what happens if your return pump goes dry?
1. your pump will burn out
2. your skimmer won't skim
3. your giant biological filter will no longer work, because it's no longer hooked to the tank.

those are more important issues than salinity increases due to declining water volume- THAT issue will take a while to happen.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: