OakRaid

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you guys get hit up with all these questions from everyone that first joins this forum. I guess I can't be an exception, So here it goes...
I have had marin tanks before (fish only)
I am getting ready to set up my tank again, and would like to throw at ya what I have and what I would like to do...
50 gal tank, Aqua C Remora skimmer, Magnum canister filter with bio-wheels, 4 x 55 watt power compact light.
Planning to .. put down one inch plus live sand, live rock (not sure how much?) Not sure of fish yet, but would like to have a couple clowns, with a bubble tip anemone. Not sure if I have enough light for the anemone?

So anyway looking for you guys to help me fill in the blanks, and any recommendations on equipment or livestock.
Like what kind media I should run in the canister? carbon or no carbon??
should I use the bio wheels or just the canister alone?
Recommend some easy soft corals that could survive me (beginer) and my set up? What cleanup crew should I put in the tank, that would not also do damage?
Also I am located in Antioch, Calif. (Bay Area) Any recommendation on a good LSF that carries a good selection of marine stock (live rock, exc.)
There used to be a good place in San Ramon but don't remember the name or location??
Sorry this is so long ... and a big thank you ahead of time for respnding!!

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:welcome:
My wife used to teach school at Freemont elementary in Antioch.

IMO the light you have isnt enough to keep the BTA long term.
50-70Lbs. of LR (live rock) should be plenty.
I wouldnt run the canister or the bio wheels because the remora skimmer, LR, and the live sand should be all the filtration you need. I would use a couple powerheads to increase circulation. You will Want to shoot for around 20-50X turnover of circulation in the tank for corals. So, roughly 1100-2750GPH 8O I dont count the skimmer.
For beginner corals with your light, mushrooms, zoanthids and/or xenias will be good for starters.
For the cleaner crew, start with a couple mexican turbos, a few nassarius snails, and a few cerith snails and add a few more as you may need them. Some will tell you that you will need one per gallon and IMO that is four times too much. I dont personally like hermit crabs because they kill the snails occasionally costing me more money. My tank seems fine without them.

For all of your live stock needs I would recommend ALL ABOUT FISH in pleasant hill. They have a great selection of corals and some of the nicest LR Ive seen in any one store. They are just off of 680 in PH. You can see them from the freeway driving southbound from 4

For your pumps, etc.. I would recommend ordering online from any one of our sponsors here. You will save tons Good luck and take things slow.

habsfan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you don't mind if I jump in here. Trido I have a 55 FOWLR with the Remora skimmer plus a AQ 100 HOB filter. Based on your comment you don't think I need to run the HOB filter? I have 70 lbs of LR but have a CC base. I'm also running 2 AQ 70 powerheads.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

I'd run carbon but no biowheel. As for softies, just about anything that is photosynthetic will do fine. Avoid the bright red and orange soft corals and you should be okay.

IMO, if you feed the anemone, you can keep it with your lights. As for clean up crews, I personally like snails, conches, emerald crabs, and cleaner shrimps. I don't like hermits or starfish/brittlestars myself.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":ytkj2t4q said:
IMO, if you feed the anemone, you can keep it with your lights. .

Len knows far more than I do about reefing. I am a relative noob in the scheme of things.

OakRaid

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Len, Trido for the replies! Got to admit I was hoping for a bigger response to get a varity of ideas :(
And Trido I did go over to All About Fish and checked out the live rock, It is nice big pieces, but thought it looked pretty bare (just rock, no coraline algea or anything on it? For premium cured rock at 4.50 a pound I would think it would have some kind of growth going?? Am I wrong, and this is the way most live rock comes??
And thanks Len .. If it will help me, I will run the Magnum with Carbon. Guess the extra GPH will help also. I am looking for a good (inexpensive)
external pump to run a closed loop though the tank for more circulation, recommendation??
I also wanted to grow some kind of benificial algae in the tank, Would like something green that would grow well but not over run the tank??
Thanks Again .. and come on guys more replies!!

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and this is the way most live rock comes??

Yes 90% of LR that I have seen in the LFS looks this way when you buy it. It only takes a few months for it to start growing coraline if your parameters are in check.

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the live rock, you have to realize that much of it has been out of water for days. Usually the Trans-shippers/Wholesalers sell the boxes straight from their shipment, no box change or anything. The really good companies can afford to let rock sit and cure (and come back to life) in their facilities; however, that rock is sold at a higher price. As a result, most of the rock coming into LFS get a whole bunch of die off, leaving the rock very barren, unless it just came in (and most of that will die off soon anyways).

But like trido said, rock will come back to life within a couple of months and you can get some very interesting growths you were not expecting.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: