zeromgb

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my new tank with some weird stuff growing on my rocks there is also a starfish i was told was a chocolate chip but when i bought him my LFS said o no thats not a cc and charged me 4 times amount but my fiancee had to have him i made this tank for her but unfortunetly she was in a car crash and is no longer with us so i must keep this tank in her memory any help with the stuff growing would be a big help

Attachments

• rock and corral.jpg
    rock and corral.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,620
  • more rocks.jpg
    more rocks.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,618
  • rock and corral.jpg
    rock and corral.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,617

zeromgb

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well its all the brown i guess i would call it algea (spelled wrong im sure) and im aslo worried about that cc will it eat my corral when i woke up this morning he was ontop of it im thinkin of gettin a hang on fuge for it and some mangros but im not sure i think i need a crab or somthin to clean the bottom i also have a wrasse i need id i dont have a pic of him u may be abel to see him in the pic he looks liek a xmas tree but has a large red spot on his belly been there since i got him but im new to all this the algea may be normal im not sure ty for the help

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, you stated "new tank". if the tank is new you will have algae blooms from time to time for a little while. are you relying on a hang on filter for filtration?
are you using tap water?

read the link i supplied in my last post. it will tell you about the cc's diet and behavior.

are you going to add more corals and make this a reef tank?

here:
http://www.oceanlight.com/lightbox.php? ... _(labridae)__marine_fish__fish__animal

see if you can pick your wrasse out of one of these mugshots. :wink:

zeromgb

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well new tank is what i would call it been set up for 4 months now and ya i would like to put more corral in mostly fast growers that spread alot the xenia was givin to me and sparked my intrest i deffently need more light i know that and ya i do use tap water but i treat it before i put it in and i let it set for at least 2 days

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most likely, you're going to have these algae issues from time to time as long as they have something to feed on. what's in your tap water, light, and uneaten food is going to keep them going.
what is the substrate? it looks like crushed coral.

also- you might read up on these threads and see what people are doing for their reeftanks these days. hang on the back filters aren't the best choices anymore(if they ever were :? )

what size tank is that?
i would go out and purchase a piece of live rock every so often until you have atleast a pound per gallon. the reason i say "every so often" and not all at once, is because you have livestock and the xenia in there already, and adding a substantial amount of live rock all at once could kill them.

live rock will be your biological filtration eventually, and you'll remove the hang on filter. this is not the best way to do it, but i don't know what to tell you now since you have inhabitants.

i would sell the cc star or trade it in at the lfs for credit.

zeromgb

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well its a 55 gallon it is 40pd sand 20pds crushed and i couldnt id the wrasse i tried for like 10min to get a pic and he wont stop for a pic :roll: i know i need live rock and i also know the HOF isnt good but i dont have alot of money to spend also with live rock do u need to do any thing with it when u get if from the LFS i also have a friend that does a lot of treasure diving i know sounds stupid lol but he says the company he dives for can get live rock and mail it to me soudns like a fish tail lol sorry for the pun but if he can what do i need to do to the rocks when i get them

zeromgb

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i cant get ride of the cc it means alot to me so i had a brain storm well here are the pics tell me if its the stupidest thing u have ever seen or not :wink: the xenia didnt like the move at all im new at this so i might have killed it i dont know

Attachments

• mini.jpg
    mini.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,568
  • minifulltank.jpg
    minifulltank.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,568

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
read through this forum. read the posts marked "sticky". there is alot of information there about reef keeping.

Snowboarda42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reading your posts hurt my brian

PLEEEEEASE use some punctuation

1. What kind of light do you have above that tank? If you don't know the type, Can you post a picture of it without the light on?

2. You gotta choose between that CC star and coral (i'd go coral)

3. That HOB Refuge thing you have is okay, but it would be better used with some miracle mud and Macro Algae

4. Get some LR, keep it in water the entire time from the fish store, that way nothing will die and you won't get any ammonia spikes = dead fish/coral

5. The crushed coral will probably need to go too, its a great road to disaster. Just keep the sand in there or go buy some silica sand from Home Depot (rinse it first).

6. The HOB filter won't do ya much good unfortunately, it might even be detrimental. I would ditch it and go for a sump or just use a skimmer as your filter.

7. Get a Skimmer, DONT get a Prizm.

8. The brown stuff on the sand is caused by not enough flow in the tank. What you need is more flow from powerheads, and it looks like you only have one. The rule of thumb is about 20x turnover from powerheads. So in a 55Gallon tank, you would want 55gal x 20turnover = 1100 GPH. Look into MaxiJets, they're cheap and work great. I would do one in each corner of the tank pointing in different directions. It makes corals happy, and keeps the brown crap away.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm about 98% sure that miracle mud is ordinary mud from someone's backyard. it's not worth buying IMO. people have tested it, and i bought some. it had pieces of red brick in it, and some plastic/glass shiny things :?

i don't think there is anything wrong with crushed coral either, as long as you vaccuum it occasionally. silica sand, however, is a mistake.
if you are to change your sand, choose argonite based sand.

the brown diatom algae in the tank will stay as long as it is fed. regardless of flow. i use treated tap water still :roll: , and i get brown algae on my 1200gph powerhead intake.

and lastly, i wouldn't trust the LFS telling you their rock is "fully cured".
expect some parameter changes. if your diver friend gets you some rock, you'll need to cure it in a separate tank.

zeromgb

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lighting is a aqualitght t-5 56 watts its a 10,000k and actnic 03 blue. i also just got 2 50/50 10 watt bulbs for the little rufuge thingy. i bought like 3 pounds of LR today like x said im not even going to be able to do alot at one because of money issues. the cc im not sure if i can get ride of it was one of the ones my fiancee had to have so its stayin. the brown stuff i knew wasnt from the power head because it came about after i got the power head. I think part of the problem with the brown stuff is the fact my dad spilled almost half a canister of fish food in the tank :roll: last time i ask him to feed the fish

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: