NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
corals

there is no set time before they open. as someone stated on other thread you definately need more water flow. and what are you water parameters ? temp ect and type of lighting. ive had zoa's not open for a week and other's open 2 min after being put into tank

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
where did you get them? what are your parameters? How did you add them into your tank? did you acclimate them?

From the pics of the limpy coral it looks like there isn't much flow in the tank. Having just the return from the main pump split into 4 nozzles doesn't give the flow needed for a reef. Once you start splitting the intake from the main pump back into the tank for each separation you lose water head pressure (actual force of the water coming out). x4 and thats alot.

Add a powerhead or two to the tank and things will be much happier. Also Is that second picture some sort of acropora SPS? its a little blurry.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Welcome to MR, nice tank!!

By the way I have a 155 g Bow Front mixed reef, the only flow in my tank is the returns. I run an Iwaki WMD 40 rlt, and an Eheim 1260. I have no power heads in my tank. Here is a couple FTS pics 1st. without flash, 2nd. with flash.

Attachments

• Reef6months003.jpg
    Reef6months003.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 130
  • Reef6months001.jpg
    Reef6months001.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 124
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
PHs are important for reef tanks and should always be utilized. The sump should not have too much flow through it since that would defeat it's purpose as a filter by pushing water through it faster than it can be cleaned. Most of the flow in our tanks should come from pumps either setup in a closed loop or internal power heads.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
PHs are important for reef tanks and should always be utilized. The sump should not have too much flow through it since that would defeat it's purpose as a filter by pushing water through it faster than it can be cleaned. Most of the flow in our tanks should come from pumps either setup in a closed loop or internal power heads.

How about you pay me, and my set up a visit before you knock it.:hug: It has no pumps, no algea, no slime, corals are growing, all live stock looks healthy and happy. You probably don't believe me, ask KathyC she's seen my tank from it's on set until now.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
A, I don't think LSF was directing his comment at your tank in particular. I think he was trying to stress the importance of water movement to Thirty5 where it looks like there is almost no water movement at all.
When I saw your tank again last week you know I was blown away by the incredible color & growth rate you have there..so obviously your flow & all else that you do (frequent water changes, dosing etc) is working fantastically well for you. But you know tanks are different due to husbandry, sump design, solid vs open aquascaping and many other factors.

LFS - would you agree that the flow rate through a sump that has no fuge area.. LR, chaeto, sand..does not suffer as much from a higher flow rate (through it) than does a tank with a 'working' fuge?
I would think the skimmer would be sucking in (and cleaning) the same limited (by the skimmer pump) amount of water due to it's own dedicated pump no matter what the flow rate through the sump is.
Are you saying that the skimmer should be cleaning ALL water that passes through the sump/fuge before it is returned to the tank?? (I doubt you are, but had to throw the question out there anyway :))

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Kat, I responded to "PHs are important for reef tanks and should always be utilized.",and "Most of the flow in our tanks should come from pumps either setup in a closed loop or internal power heads.". These comments lend themselfs to an understanding that without Power Heads there will be no success, which obviously is not always the case. All systems are different, what may work for me may not work for another. I simply gave thirty5 a different setup to look at. And also why I included that I use two return pumps on my reef.
I guess I should also say that my fowlr has 1 return pump Eheim 1265, and 3 power heads on a wavemaker.;) Where as the same pump was all that I needed on the 75 I had to add the 3 ph when I upgraded to the 120.

:backtotop thirty5, how are the corals doing now? Have they opened?

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
The zoos are starting to peek out. So yes they are starting to open. But i did lose the pom pom zenia, i think that is what it is. It is dead on the rock? Do i have to do anything about it? Can anyone ID the mushroom type things that are to the left of the zoos?

100_2637.jpg

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi thirty5 sorry about your pompom xenia. When mine grows a little more I will give you a frag of it. Actually, if you want a single stalk of it you can come and get it.
I can't tell what's to the left of your zoas,other then blue shroom sorry!

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Compare what you have to this. Does the one you have have stalks like the one pictured here? This is a pom pom xenia.
pompomxenia1.jpg

Or does it look more like this? These are clove polyps.
SWI_0001734_20010206122057.jpg

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Hey Mann, i shoulda just asked you.. The zoos are finally starting to open up. I lost alot of te anthelia on the other rocks. But i see the ricordias starting to open. Also Manny if you scroll up and see the pics of the zoos, what are the mushroom things next to it? I also saw one single blue zoo. i cant wait for it to open all the way!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: